Work problem -- lifting water out of tanks

In summary, the conversation involves two problems related to lifting water out of tanks and finding the work needed. The specific problem mentioned is about a water tank shaped like an inverted cone with a given height and base radius. The attempt at solving the problem involves drawing a graph and using the equation for cross-sectional volume of a slice. However, the person is getting an incorrect answer and there is a discussion about the factors that affect the amount of work needed to pump water from different levels of the tank.
iPhotonHQ
< Mentor Note -- thread moved to HH from the technical math forums, so no HH Template is shown >

I've encountered 2 problems in a row that involve lifting water out of tanks and finding the work needed. I am getting the incorrect answer.
w = ⌠ab pgA(y)D(y)dy

here is one of the problems:
A water tank is shaped like an inverted cone with a height 6m and a base radius of 1.5m...
a) if the tank is full, how much work is required to pump the water to the level of the top of the tank and out of the tank?

*Attempt*:
I drew a graph and a line from (0,0) to (1.5, 6) and found that the equation of that line is y = 4x or x = (1/4)y
cross-sectional volume of a slice: πr²h
r = y/4
V = π(y/4)²dy = A(y)
D(y) i think = 6m
g = 9.8 m/s²
p = 1000kg/m3
061000(9.8m/s²)(πy²/16)(6m)dy

I am getting the incorrect answer...

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your D(y) must be a function of y ...

Here's something interesting about this problem.

Does it take more work to pump water from bottom of tank or from top of tank as you slowly lower the hose?

1. How much force is needed to lift water out of a tank?

The amount of force needed to lift water out of a tank depends on several factors, such as the volume of water, the height it needs to be lifted, and the efficiency of the lifting mechanism. In general, the force required will be equivalent to the weight of the water being lifted.

2. What is the most efficient way to lift water out of a tank?

The most efficient way to lift water out of a tank is by using a pump. Pumps are designed specifically for this purpose and can be more efficient than other methods, such as using manual labor or gravity.

3. How can I prevent spills or leaks while lifting water out of a tank?

To prevent spills or leaks while lifting water out of a tank, it is important to properly secure all connections and make sure the pump or lifting mechanism is in good working condition. Regular maintenance and inspections can also help to prevent any accidents.

4. Can I reuse the water from the tank after it has been lifted?

Yes, in most cases, the water can be reused after it has been lifted out of the tank. However, it is important to properly filter and treat the water before using it for any purpose to ensure it is safe and clean.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when lifting water out of a tank?

Yes, there are several safety precautions that should be taken when lifting water out of a tank. These include wearing appropriate protective gear, making sure all connections are secure, and following proper lifting techniques to avoid strain or injury.