Kinematics: 100 meter dash when one runner starts 3 seconds later

jnuz73hbn
Homework Statement
Hello, I think I have a simple error in my thinking. Topic 100m sprint: Man A and man B have to sprint 100m. Man v(a)= 5m/s . Man B starts 3s later his speed v(b)= 7m/s. Who wins? Graphically I have arrived at the following functions, are they correct- with "t-3"?
Relevant Equations
$$s_B(t) = 7 \cdot (t - 3) + 0$$
$$t_A= 3s$$
$$ s= 100m$$
$$v_A= 5m/s$$
$$v_B=7m/s$$
$$s(t)=7(t-3)+0$$

Physics news on Phys.org
jnuz73hbn said:
Homework Statement: Hello, I think I have a simple error in my thinking. Topic 100m sprint: Man A and man B have to sprint 100m. Man v(a)= 5m/s . Man B starts 3s later his speed v(b)= 7m/s. Who wins? Graphically I have arrived at the following functions, are they correct- with "t-3"?
Relevant Equations: $$s_B(t) = 7 \cdot (t - 3) + 0$$

$$t_A= 3s$$
$$ s= 100m$$
$$v_A= 5m/s$$
$$v_B=7m/s$$
$$s(t)=7(t-3)+0$$
I'm having trouble following your work. Can you say in words what you are doing with those equations?

I would find the time when the two runner positions are equal, and then find how far they are at that time. That would tell me if the 2nd runner catches the lead runner...

Likes MatinSAR
There is only one function that you have and that is ##s(t)=7(t-3)+0.## That is presumably the position of runner B as a function of time. The rest of your equations are the given quantities. What is your strategy for answering the question? @berkeman gave you one. Here is my hint: When B starts the race, how long will it take each runner to reach the finish line?

Likes MatinSAR and berkeman
Here's a hint at a different approach from those suggested:
When will A have completed the race? How far will B have come when that happens? If B has come more than 100 m then B has already completed the race before A.

I find this approach somewhat easier to handle arithmetically as you don't need to compute the time when B crosses the finish line. You only need to deal with multiplication of integers at worst.

Likes MatinSAR
Just don't use Zeno's method.

My approach would be to calculate the times for A and B to run 100m and see how much shorter B's time is. That tells you everything you need to know.

Likes MatinSAR
kuruman said:
There is only one function that you have and that is ##s(t)=7(t-3)+0.## That is presumably the position of runner B as a function of time. The rest of your equations are the given quantities. What is your strategy for answering the question? @berkeman gave you one. Here is my hint: When B starts the race, how long will it take each runner to reach the finish line?
My only question is whether I have set up this equation for B correctly, whether I should write the 3 second delay in the equation as $$s(t)=7(t+3)$$ or $$s(t)=7(t-3)$$

berkeman said:
I'm having trouble following your work. Can you say in words what you are doing with those equations?

I would find the time when the two runner positions are equal, and then find how far they are at that time. That would tell me if the 2nd runner catches the lead runner...
My only question is whether I have set up this equation for B correctly, whether I should write the 3 second delay in the equation as $$s(t)=7(t-3)$$ or $$s(t)=7(t+3)$$

jnuz73hbn said:
My only question is whether I have set up this equation for B correctly, whether I should write the 3 second delay in the equation as $$s(t)=7(t+3)$$ or $$s(t)=7(t-3)$$
It depends how you define ##s(t)##. If there are two runners, there are two displacements. I would use ##s_A(t)## and ##s_B(t)##.

PeroK said:
My approach would be to calculate the times for A and B to run 100m and see how much shorter B's time is. That tells you everything you need to know.
This is my backbone reaction too, but then I realized it requires dividing 100 by 7 (sure, not that difficult if you remember that 7^2 = 49). Since 100/5 is an easy integer, that integer minus 3 times 7 is straightforward.

jnuz73hbn said:
Try computing ##s(0)## or ##s(3)##.

jnuz73hbn said:
Here is how I would think this through. Imagine that each runner wears a smartwatch that starts the stopwatch function when the wearer starts moving. The positions of the runners will be given by
##s_A(t_A)=5~t_A## and ##s_B(t_B)=7~t_B##. We want to write expressions involving a single clock time ##t## which means that we have to choose one of the two possibilities. Before choosing, we note that B's stopwatch display shows 3 s less than A's display: ##t_B=t_A-3~##s.

Therefore, if we choose ##t_A=t## as the common time, we write ##s_A(t)=5~t## and ##s_B(t)=7~(t-3).##
If we choose ##t_B=t## as the common time, we write ##s_A(t)=5~(t+3)## and ##s_B(t)=7~t.##

Likes MatinSAR and PeroK
PeroK said:
Just don't use Zeno's method.
Why not? I think that Zeno's method will work if you ask the right person.

If you ask a race spectator, he will give the standard reply, something like "B starts 15 m behind A. In the time B covers the 15m, A will have advanced an additional ~10 m and by the time B covers that, A will have advanced ##\dots## and so on ad infinitum."

However, if you ask one of the runners, say A, he will say, "I see B 15 m behind me approaching me at 2 m/s. He will cover that distance in ##\frac{15}{2}~##s. I also see the finish line 85 m ahead of me approaching me at 5 m/s. It will cover that distance in ##\frac{85}{5}~##s.

If ##\frac{15}{2}<\frac{85}{2}##, I lose the race;
Else if ##\frac{15}{2}>\frac{85}{5}##, I win the race;
Else it's a tie;
End If"

Similar considerations apply to runner B who sees runner A and the finish line approaching him from the same direction with respective speeds 2 m/s and 7 m/s and from respective initial distances 15 m and 100 m. It is interesting to note that, as far as resolution of Zeno's paradox is concerned, we apparently we have two preferred inertial frames.

kuruman said:
Why not? I think that Zeno's method will work if you ask the right person.

If you ask a race spectator, he will give the standard reply, something like "B starts 15 m behind A. In the time B covers the 15m, A will have advanced an additional ~10 m and by the time B covers that, A will have advanced ##\dots## and so on ad infinitum."

However, if you ask one of the runners, say A, he will say, "I see B 15 m behind me approaching me at 2 m/s. He will cover that distance in ##\frac{15}{2}~##s. I also see the finish line 85 m ahead of me approaching me at 5 m/s. It will cover that distance in ##\frac{85}{5}~##s.

If ##\frac{15}{2}<\frac{85}{2}##, I lose the race;
Else if ##\frac{15}{2}>\frac{85}{5}##, I win the race;
Else it's a tie;
End If"

Similar considerations apply to runner B who sees runner A and the finish line approaching him from the same direction with respective speeds 2 m/s and 7 m/s and from respective initial distances 15 m and 100 m. It is interesting to note that, as far as resolution of Zeno's paradox is concerned, we apparently we have two preferred inertial frames.
If Zeno had known about changing reference frames he would have solved his paradox himself.

PeroK said:
If Zeno had known about changing reference frames he would have solved his paradox himself.
Galileo had a chance, but I guess he didn't know about it.

1. How does the starting time difference affect the results of the 100 meter dash?

The starting time difference of 3 seconds can significantly impact the results of the 100 meter dash. It gives the first runner a head start and can potentially affect the overall outcome of the race.

2. What is the importance of measuring the velocity and acceleration of the runners in the 100 meter dash?

Measuring the velocity and acceleration of the runners is crucial in understanding their performance in the race. It allows us to analyze their speed and how quickly they are able to accelerate, which can give insight into their overall performance.

3. How does the distance covered by each runner differ in the 100 meter dash when one starts 3 seconds later?

The distance covered by each runner will differ in the 100 meter dash when one starts 3 seconds later. The runner who starts later will have to cover a greater distance in a shorter amount of time in order to catch up to the first runner.

4. Can the starting time difference affect the final outcome of the race?

Yes, the starting time difference can definitely affect the final outcome of the race. It can give one runner an advantage over the other, potentially leading to a different outcome than if both runners had started at the same time.

5. How can we calculate the average speed of each runner in the 100 meter dash?

The average speed of each runner can be calculated by dividing the distance (100 meters) by the time it takes them to complete the race. This will give us the average speed in meters per second, which can then be converted to kilometers per hour for easier understanding.