Kinematics : A Rock Being Dropped off a Cliff

In summary: I see the mistake I made now. I did not 'complete the square' on my quadratic, so I didn't get the 2g term in my answer. Thanks for your help!In summary, to find the height of the cliff, we can use the kinematic equations and set up a system of equations using the time it takes for the rock to fall and the sound to reach the thrower. By substituting T1 + T2 = 3, we can solve for T1 and plug it into the first equation to get a quadratic equation. Completing the square will give us the height of the cliff.
miniradman
[itex][/itex]

Homework Statement

A Rock is dropped from a cliff and the sound of it striking the ocean is heard 3 seconds later. If the speed of sound in air is 340m/s, how high is the cliff?

Homework Equations

The linear kinematics of motion equations:

1. [itex]x-x_{0}=v_{0}t+\frac{1}{2}at^2[/itex]
2. [itex]v=v_{0}+at[/itex]
3. [itex]v^2 =v_{0}^2 + 2a(x-x_{0})[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The problem I have is coming up with a mathematical model to describe what is going on here. I cannot think of a way to set-up these equations to give me an answer. There are two main problems about this that I cannot get passed:

1. I don't know the height of the cliff, or how to work it out (the sound comes three seconds after the stone is dropped, not when the stone strikes the ocean, so I cannot use speed = distance/time using 3s and 340m/s to work out the height of the cliff)

2. The time it takes for the rock to hit the ocean is not the same as the time it takes for the sound to reach the top of the cliff from the ocean (so I cannot use the time parameter to solve two equations simultaneously, as well as I cannot seem to find/come up with any model with gives me something like t1 + t2 = 3s)

Could someone please give me a hint on how to evaluate this question? Because I'm majorly stuck :biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
1. Assuming height h, how much time t1 does it take for the rock to fall to the ocean?
2. How much time t2 does it take for the sound to reach the thrower after the rock hit the ocean?
3. Do you know t1 + t2?

3 equations, 3 unknowns?

You can use T1 + T2 = 3 to substitute into the kinematic equations. For example:T1=3-T2. Figure out an equation that relates the height of the cliff to each individual time and then you can substitute the T1 value above.

I'll get you started:

Use your first equation.
y=Vi*t+1/2at^2 where y is the height of the cliff. Vi=0 because it is dropped.
y=-4.9(T1)^2

t=t1+t2 and t=3s and v=340[itex]\frac{m}{s}[/itex]
t1=[itex]\sqrt{\frac{2h}{g}}[/itex] and t2=[itex]\frac{h}{v}[/itex]

therefore t=[itex]\sqrt{\frac{2h}{g}}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{h}{v}[/itex]
t2=[itex]\frac{2h}{g}[/itex]+ [itex]\frac{h^2}{v^2}[/itex]
t2gv2=2hv2+h2g you know t,g and v
and then the quadratic formula

Last edited:
KHANV1CT said:
y=-4.9(T1)^2
If I re-arrange this to make T1 the subject, wouldn't I then get a negative root?

EDIT: here is a full attempt, I know it is wrong. But I cannot think of where I made a mistake.

Attachments

• The rock falling off a cliff.pdf
    228.3 KB · Views: 358
Last edited:
I think you made mistake at 36d2/3402

Last edited:
Ahh, ok...

1. What is Kinematics?

Kinematics is the study of the motion of objects, without considering the forces that cause the motion.

2. How does the height of a cliff affect the time it takes for a rock to drop?

The height of a cliff has a direct impact on the time it takes for a rock to drop. The higher the cliff, the longer the rock will take to reach the ground due to the acceleration of gravity.

3. What is the equation for calculating the speed of a rock being dropped off a cliff?

The equation for calculating the speed of a rock being dropped off a cliff is v = gt, where v is the final velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), and t is the time taken for the rock to drop.

4. How does air resistance affect the motion of a rock being dropped off a cliff?

Air resistance can affect the motion of a rock being dropped off a cliff by slowing down its descent. This is because air resistance creates a force that opposes the motion of the rock, causing it to accelerate at a slower rate.

5. Can the initial velocity of a rock being dropped off a cliff affect its final speed?

Yes, the initial velocity of a rock being dropped off a cliff can affect its final speed. If the rock is thrown or pushed off the cliff with an initial velocity, it will have a higher final speed than if it is simply dropped without any initial velocity.