Kinematics Equations: When to Use Each?

In summary, the three kinematics equations can be used when you have constant acceleration and values for all variables except one. In certain situations, you may be able to use these equations even if you don't have values for all variables, but it depends on the specific problem and how the object is moving. It's important to pay attention to the components of velocity and acceleration and not mix up x- and y-components.
applepies
I would greatly appreciate it if someone can clarify the conditions on when to use to each of the kinematics equations, because I end up with the wrong answer for using the wrong equations of the 3.

1. vf = vi + at
When can I use this and when cannot?

2. vf^2 = vi^2 + 2a(xf-xi)

3. (xf-xi) = vi t + at^2/2
When can I use this and when cannot?For example: Suppose a ball is thrown vertically upward from Earth with velocity v and returns to its original height in time t. If the g value is reduced to g/6 then what would t be?

Why use equation 1 which will result in a time increasing by a factor of 6. If I use the second equation time will be increased by a factor of 6^1/2 ?

Physics news on Phys.org
applepies said:
1. vf = vi + at

You can use any of these any time you have values for all of the variables except one.

applepies said:
For example: Suppose a ball is thrown vertically upward from Earth with velocity v and returns to its original height in time t. If the g value is reduced to g/6 then what would t be?

We know that the ball will eventually come to a stop before reversing direction and accelerating back to Earth. We also know that the time it takes the ball to rise to its maximum height is the same as the time it takes it to fall back to Earth from that height. That means, depending on what values we know, we can solve for the time taken to either rise or fall and then double that value.

applepies said:
Why use equation 1 which will result in a time increasing by a factor of 6. If I use the second equation time will be increased by a factor of 6^1/2 ?

Looking at the equations and your problem, what variables do we have values for? What information do we know? We know the initial velocity, which immediately suggests that we should solve for the time taken for the ball to rise to its maximum height. Since we are solving for the rise, we know that the final velocity is zero. We also know the acceleration of gravity and the initial position, but we don't know the final position nor do we know the time. Looking at your equations, it looks like the only equation that we have a single unknown for is equation 1.

Both equation 2 and equation 3 have two unknowns each (##x_f## and ##t##), so we cannot use them.

Likes applepies
Thank you for the clarification!

Just to make sure I understand it this, if I was given the change in distance, the velocity, and acceleration, I would have to use (xf-xi) = vi t + at^2/2 to find t but I can't use vf = vi + at, because this doesn't account for the change in distance ?

applepies said:
Just to make sure I understand it this, if I was given the change in distance, the velocity, and acceleration, I would have to use (xf-xi) = vi t + at^2/2 to find t but I can't use vf = vi + at, because this doesn't account for the change in distance ?

That's right in general. But there are special cases. In your example above, we weren't given ##v_f## but we were able to use equation 1. That's because we were able to use zero for the final velocity because of the particular way the ball moves under gravity. In another situation you might not be able to do that and so you wouldn't be able to use equation one or two since you wouldn't have ##v_f## or ##t##.

Likes applepies
Thank you so much! I feel like I have gotten through a small mound in the massive world of physics.

First step in solving any physics problem: determine what relevant information you're given. :wink:

applepies said:
1. vf = vi + at

It should be clarified that these equations are valid only when you have constant acceleration.

The v's refer to "components of velocity" [or possibly vectors] but not speeds.
The a's refer to "components of accleration" [or possibly vectors] but not magnitudes-of-acceleration.

In addition, one should not mix-up x-components with y-components.
For example...
##\vec v_f = \vec v_i + \vec at##
or
##v_{x,f} = v_{x,i} + a_x t##
##v_{y,f} = v_{y,i} + a_y t##
Similarly,
## v_{x,f}^2 = v_{x,i}^2 + 2a_x(x_f-x_i)##
## v_{y,f}^2 = v_{y,i}^2 + 2a_y(y_f-y_i)##

Similarly,
##(x_f-x_i) = v_{x,i} t + a_xt^2/2##
##(y_f-y_i) = v_{y,i} t + a_yt^2/2##

..but never write, for example,
a horizontal displacement:
[generally false] ##(x_f-x_i) = v_{x,i} t + (-g)t^2/2##
or
[generally false] ##(x_f-x_i) = v t + (-g)t^2/2##, where ##v=|\vec v|##.

Likes SammyS
You could use something like this. Just write in the known variables and a ? for the unknown and line up against the ticks in the formula table to select the correct formula.

Formula table.jpg

Drakkith said:
You can use any of these any time you have values for all of the variables except one.
Well, not really. These equations only apply when the acceleration is constant. That is not true in most real problems of interest.

Dr.D said:
Well, not really. These equations only apply when the acceleration is constant. That is not true in most real problems of interest.

Absolutely.

1. What are the kinematics equations used for?

The kinematics equations are used to describe the motion of an object in terms of its position, velocity, and acceleration. They can be used to calculate any of these variables given the other two.

2. How many kinematics equations are there?

There are five kinematics equations, also known as the "big five" equations. They are:
- d = v0t + ½at2 (displacement equation)
- v = v0 + at (velocity equation)
- d = ½(v0 + v)t (average velocity equation)
- d = v0t + ½a(v - v0) (average acceleration equation)
- v2 = v02 + 2ad (final velocity equation)

3. When should I use each kinematics equation?

The first equation should be used when you know an object's initial velocity, acceleration, and time. The second equation should be used when you know an object's initial velocity, acceleration, and displacement. The third equation should be used when you know an object's initial and final velocities, and the time it takes to change between them. The fourth equation should be used when you know an object's initial and final velocities, and its displacement. The final equation should be used when you know an object's initial velocity, acceleration, and displacement, and want to find its final velocity.

4. Can the kinematics equations be used for any type of motion?

The kinematics equations can be used for motion with constant acceleration, such as free fall or motion along a straight line. They cannot be used for motion with changing acceleration, such as circular motion or motion with air resistance.

5. How do I know which kinematics equation to use?

To determine which kinematics equation to use, first identify which variables are known and which variable you are trying to solve for. Then, choose the equation that includes the known variables and the variable you are solving for. If more than one equation fits these criteria, choose the one that is the simplest to use or that uses the most known variables.