Kinematics - Finding position and acceleration

In summary, the given position function x(t) = 2.17 m + 4.80 m/s2t2 - 0.100 m/s6t6 represents the position of a test car under microprocessor control. To find the car's position and acceleration at the first and second instants when it has zero velocity, we take the derivative of x(t) to get v(t) and the second derivative of x(t) to get a(t). We then solve for t using the equation v(t) = 0 and plug the resulting value into the position and acceleration equations for parts a, b, and c. However, there may be an error in the calculation for part a.
MozAngeles

Homework Statement

The position of the front bumper of a test car under microprocessor control is given by x(t) = 2.17 m + 4.80 m/s2t2 - 0.100 m/s6t6.
a. Find its position at the first instant when the car has zero velocity.
b. Find its acceleration at the first instant when the car has zero velocity.
c. Find its position at the second instant when the car has zero velocity.
d. Find its acceleration at the second instant when the car has zero velocity.

Homework Equations

i took the derivative and to get v(t) for parts a,b,c of this
then the second derivative to get a(t)

The Attempt at a Solution

a(t)= 9.6-3t4 solve for t we get 1.337 when i plug that into the v(t) equation i get ~10 but when i plugg this in it's wrong. I have to idea what is going wrong, this is how my professor set it up... i got a,b,c right though...

Physics news on Phys.org

Are you not suppose to solve for t at v(t) = 0?

yes for part a and c

Related to Kinematics - Finding position and acceleration

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion.

2. How do you find an object's position using kinematics?

To find an object's position using kinematics, you need to know its initial position, initial velocity, and acceleration. Using these values, you can use equations of motion to calculate the object's position at any given time.

3. What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is a measure of how fast an object is moving, while velocity is a measure of how fast an object is moving in a specific direction. Velocity takes into account both the magnitude and direction of an object's motion.

4. How do you calculate acceleration using kinematics?

To calculate acceleration using kinematics, you need to know an object's initial velocity, final velocity, and time interval. You can then use the equation a = (vf - vi) / t to find the object's acceleration.

5. Can kinematics be used for both linear and rotational motion?

Yes, kinematics can be used for both linear and rotational motion. In linear motion, an object moves along a straight path, while in rotational motion, an object moves in a circular path. Both types of motion can be described and analyzed using kinematics equations.