Use the data to construct a graph etc.

In summary: Can you please help me out?In summary, the car was travelling at an average acceleration of 9 meters per second at the time it reached 4 seconds.
Alexanddros81

Homework Statement

Serway Physics Section 2.4 Acceleration
(a) Use the data in Problem 5 to construct a smooth graph of position
versus time. (b) By constructing tangents to the x(t) curve, find the instantaneous
velocity of the car at several instants. (c) Plot the instantaneous velocity versus time
and, from this information, determine the average acceleration of the car.
(d) What was the initial velocity of the car?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Serway Physics 2_18001.jpg

[/B]
Is part (a) correct?
Any hints for part (b) ? For example if I take a tangent to x(t) at time 1.0s what is the instantaneous velocity at t=1.0 s?

Attachments

• Serway Physics 2_18001.jpg
    Serway Physics 2_18001.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 1,349
Physics news on Phys.org
Try to find a formula for the graph. Use the turning point form: ##y = a(x - b)^2 + c##

PS. All the help I can give.

Think about what the tangent gives you. What is the rise/run of the tangent line telling you about the position of the car vs time?

verty said:
Try to find a formula for the graph. Use the turning point form: ##y = a(x - b)^2 + c##

PS. All the help I can give.
Hi. Can you give me an example or point to an example?

I have found this web-page that tells you how to find the equation by knowing the x and y coordinates.

http://www.mathsmutt.co.uk/files/qe2.htm

If the equation is of the form ##y=a(x-b)^2+c## then:

for point ##x=2.0 , y=9.2## and ##b=0## (since it is the axis of symmetry) we can solve the quadratic:

##9.2=a(2.0)^2+c => 9.2=4a+c## (1)

for point ##x=3.0, y=20.7## and ##b=0## => ##20.7=a(3.0)^2+c => 20.7=9a+c## (2)

By subtracting (1) from (2) we find that a=2.3 and also that c=0

So the quadratic equation is: ##y=2.3x^2##

How do I proceed next?

Ok. So now I find the derivative of ##y=2.3x^2##

##\frac {dy} {dx} = \frac {d} {dx} 2.3x^2 = 4.6x##

So at the point where x = 1 , y'(1) = 4.6

So at x= 1 the instantaneous slope of the curve will be 4.6

So at the point where x = 2 , y'(2) = 9.2

So at x= 2 the instantaneous slope of the curve will be 9.2

So at the point where x = 3 , y'(3) = 13.8

So at x= 3 the instantaneous slope of the curve will be 13.8

So at the point where x = 4 , y'(4) = 18.4

So at x= 4 the instantaneous slope of the curve will be 18.4

The instantaneous slopes found for each x is the instantaneous velocity for that x.

Is the above correct?

@Alexanddros81 : You need to start over, and follow what @NateTheGreatt77 is suggesting.

1. What is the meaning of "tangent lines"?

2. What is the meaning of "instantaneous velocity" with respect to a x-t graph?

3. If I pick a point on that line, can you find the slope of the curve at that point? This is where you need to know what #1 means. You do NOT have to know the equation of the line that you have drawn, especially when it wasn't given to you.

4. Once you know the slope of the curve at that point, how does this relate to the "instantaneous velocity" at that point?

From the way this has been described, you are expected to do this "by hand", i.e. manually.

This exercise is a test on whether you have understood what a x-t curve represents, and what it can tell you.

Zz.

Likes Alexanddros81
ZapperZ said:
@Alexanddros81 : You need to start over, and follow what @NateTheGreatt77 is suggesting.

1. What is the meaning of "tangent lines"?

2. What is the meaning of "instantaneous velocity" with respect to a x-t graph?

3. If I pick a point on that line, can you find the slope of the curve at that point? This is where you need to know what #1 means. You do NOT have to know the equation of the line that you have drawn, especially when it wasn't given to you.

4. Once you know the slope of the curve at that point, how does this relate to the "instantaneous velocity" at that point?

From the way this has been described, you are expected to do this "by hand", i.e. manually.

This exercise is a test on whether you have understood what a x-t curve represents, and what it can tell you.

Zz.

From what I can tell from the graph by taking the tangent of the black line at point x (or t) = 2s for example
I can say that :

##v_x=\frac {18-0} {3-1} = +9m/s ##

Serway Physics 2_18002.jpg

Is this correct?

Attachments

• Serway Physics 2_18002.jpg
    Serway Physics 2_18002.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 1,288
Alexanddros81 said:
From what I can tell from the graph by taking the tangent of the black line at point x (or t) = 2s for example
I can say that :

##v_x=\frac {18-0} {3-1} = +9m/s ##

View attachment 233582

Is this correct?

Yes, that is correct. You are on the right track.

Zz.

@ZapperZ :

Hi. I have some questions...
The tangent line is drawn to the left of point t=2s up to where the y-axis (or x) is equal to zero (and t=1s)
So do I draw to the right of point t=2s up to where the t=3s? Should it be symmetry?

Alexanddros81 said:
@ZapperZ :

Hi. I have some questions...
The tangent line is drawn to the left of point t=2s up to where the y-axis (or x) is equal to zero (and t=1s)
So do I draw to the right of point t=2s up to where the t=3s? Should it be symmetry?

You can draw the line arbitrarily long or short. It doesn't matter. All you care about is that it is a tangent line to that point. You can use ANY two points on the tangent line to calculate its slope. It will give you the same answer to matter which two points you pick.

Zz.

@ZapperZ
Thanks.
That was the info i didn't know.
Any web-page or paper describing this?

Alex

Alexanddros81 said:
@ZapperZ
Thanks.
That was the info i didn't know.
Any web-page or paper describing this?

Alex

Describing what?

Zz.

I meant the info:
ZapperZ said:
You can draw the line arbitrarily long or short. It doesn't matter. All you care about is that it is a tangent line to that point. You can use ANY two points on the tangent line to calculate its slope. It will give you the same answer to matter which two points you pick.

Alexanddros81 said:
I meant the info:

This is math. It comes from your math class where you study straight line graphs: y = mx + b.

But also think about it. It is a straight line, meaning it has a constant slope all throughout the line. So why should a slope you found at one point be different than the slope at another point? If they differ, this is not a straight line.

So if you want to find the slope of a straight line, ANY two points on that line will give you the slope.

Zz.

@ZapperZ

Thanks.
I am coming back to math and physics after some time of absence from them.

Sorry @Alexanddros81, I forgot about question b. I was thinking it was just a and then c.

For a more precise measurment of the instantaneous velocity for part (b)
I used Geogebra app.

I know that the function is given by ##y = 2.3x^2##
I find the derivative to be ##y'(x) = 4.6x##

Now I find the ##y'(2) = 9.2## . This is the slope at point t=2

Also I know that at t=2.0, x=9.2 or at x=2.0, y=9.2

So now I can calcuate the equation for the tangent line:

##y-y_1 = m(x-x_1)## (1) where m is the slope and ##x_1=2.0## and ##y_1=9.2##

So (1) gives y=9.2x-9.2

By adding the tangent line to the graph in Geogebra we get figure:

Serway Physics 2_18001.png

Is there a function in geogebra that when we input the point (2,9.2) on the graph to draw the tangent line automatically?

Attachments

• Serway Physics 2_18001.png
    Serway Physics 2_18001.png
    26.2 KB · Views: 750
I don't understand what you are trying to do here. If you managed to fit the data to an analytical equation, then the value of the slope at any point on the line is easily obtained. So why go through all that tedious exercise in finding the tangent line?

Please remember that the initial idea of using tangent lines here is to do this MANUALLY, i.e. without any kind of fitting program. If you were given this question in an exam, in class, and you are prohibited to use any electronic device other than a calculator, can you do this problem? My reading of the way the question is presented is that this is what they want you to do.

Zz.

So here is part (b):

Serway Physics 2_18004.jpg

Also tangent line at point x(or t) at 5s : ##v_x = \frac {80-34} {6-4} = v_x = 23 m/s^2##

Attachments

• Serway Physics 2_18004.jpg
    Serway Physics 2_18004.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 989
OK, so now do (c) and (d).

Zz.

Ok so now for part (c) I plot the instantaneous velocities vs time.

Serway Physics 2_18005.jpg

And joining the points with a line I get velovity vs time graph.
If we take the slope of the red line we find the average acceleration.

So ##a_{avg} = \frac {23-0} {5-01} = 4.69 m/s^2##

And for (d) at t=0 the velovity is (according to the graph): -0.4m/s
or
we could say is roughly zero?

Am I correct?

Attachments

• Serway Physics 2_18005.jpg
    Serway Physics 2_18005.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 745
Yes, that should be correct.

Zz.

1. How do I choose which type of graph to use?

The type of graph you use depends on the type of data you have and the purpose of your graph. For example, if you have numerical data and want to show trends over time, a line graph would be appropriate. If you have categorical data and want to compare values, a bar graph would be more suitable. Consider the data and the message you want to convey before choosing a graph type.

2. How should I label my graph?

Your graph should have a clear and concise title that summarizes the main message or question you are addressing with the data. The axis labels should clearly describe what is being measured and the units of measurement. If necessary, include a legend to explain any colors or symbols used in the graph.

3. How many data points should I include in my graph?

The number of data points you include in your graph depends on the amount of data you have and the level of detail you want to show. Generally, including too few data points can oversimplify the data, while including too many can make the graph cluttered and difficult to read. A good rule of thumb is to include enough data points to accurately represent the trends or patterns in the data, but not so many that it becomes overwhelming.

4. How do I determine the scale for my graph?

The scale for your graph should be chosen based on the range of values in your data. The scale should be evenly spaced and start at 0, unless there is a specific reason to use a different scale. It's important to choose a scale that accurately represents the data, but also allows for easy interpretation and comparison.

5. How can I make my graph visually appealing?

To make your graph visually appealing, choose colors and fonts that are easy to read and visually pleasing. Use appropriate spacing and labeling to avoid clutter and confusion. You can also add elements such as a grid, annotations, or images to make the graph more engaging and informative. However, be careful not to add unnecessary elements that can distract from the main message of the graph.