Kinematics of pantograph device

ChauhanIn summary, the conversation discusses obtaining the forward and inverse kinematics of a pantograph device. It is noted that this is easy when considering only one side of the pantograph, as it becomes a 2DOF planar elbow mechanism. However, with the symmetry of the pantograph, two planar elbow mechanisms must be combined, which can be confusing due to the closed loop mechanism. The individual asks for advice on how to approach this mechanism, to which the response mentions that the key is that each cell forms a rhombus and the diagonals are always perpendicular, making it a right triangle situation.
zoom1
I need to obtain the forward and inverse kinematics of a pantograph device. It is easy when only the one side of the pantograph is considered; So, it becomes a 2DOF planar elbow mechanism, which is easy to solve. However, there is symmetry on pantograph, so I kinda need to combine two planar elbow mechanism, but it confuses me since it's a closed loop mechanism.

This is the depiction of the mechanism;
http://i.imgur.com/M3ANKre.png

Q1 and Q3 are controlled with the motors and Q2 and Q4 rotates accordingly.
How am I supposed to approach this mechanism ?

Engineering news on Phys.org
The key to a pantograph is that each cell forms a rhombus, and the diagonals of a rhombus are always perpendicular. So you are dealing with right triangles.

Chet

Related to Kinematics of pantograph device

1. What is a pantograph device and how does it work?

A pantograph device is a mechanical linkage that is used to copy and scale the motion of an object. It consists of four linkages joined together in a parallelogram shape. The motion of the device is determined by the length of the linkages and the position of the joints.

2. What are the applications of pantograph devices?

Pantograph devices are used in a variety of industries, including engineering, architecture, and art. They are commonly used for copying and scaling drawings, as well as for precision cutting and engraving.

3. How do you calculate the position of the end effector in a pantograph device?

The position of the end effector in a pantograph device can be calculated using trigonometric equations. The length of the linkages and the angles of the joints are used to determine the x and y coordinates of the end effector.

4. How does the weight of the end effector affect the motion of a pantograph device?

The weight of the end effector can affect the motion of a pantograph device by causing the linkages to bend and the joints to move slightly. This can result in inaccuracies in the copied or scaled motion.

5. What are the limitations of using a pantograph device?

Pantograph devices have limitations in terms of the size and complexity of the object being copied or scaled. Additionally, the accuracy of the device can be affected by factors such as the weight of the end effector, friction in the joints, and wear and tear on the linkages.