Kinematics problem-finding acceleration

In summary, Mary needs to accelerate at a rate of 0.47 m/s2 to cross the finish line side-by-side with Sally.
life is maths

Homework Statement

Hi everyone! This is my homework question, an easy one, but I cannot find my mistake. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Mary and Sally are in a foot race. When Mary is 22 m/s from the finish line, she has a speed of 4.0 m/s and is 5.0 m behind Sally, who has a speed of 5.0 m/s. During the remaining portion of the race, Sally decelerates at a constant rate of 0.48 m/s2 to the finish line.

What constant acceleration does Mary now need during the remaining portion of the race, if she wishes to cross the finish line side-by-side with Sally?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

(The final velocity of Sally)=Vsf2
(The initial velocity of Sally)=Vsi2
Vsf2:Vsi2-2ax
Vsf2=52-2*0.48*17
which is 3 m/s.
Vsf=Vsi+at
3=5-0.48t
t=4.16s

They should finish the race at the same time, so this is also the time in which Mary ran 17 m.

X=Vot+1/2at2
22=4*4.16+a*(4.16)2
5=2.08*4.16*a
and a=0.60 m/s2

This is an internet assignment and the program says this result is false.
Is there a mistake here? What do I do wrong? Thanks for any help :)

Physics news on Phys.org
life is maths said:

Homework Statement

Hi everyone! This is my homework question, an easy one, but I cannot find my mistake. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Mary and Sally are in a foot race. When Mary is 22 m/s from the finish line, she has a speed of 4.0 m/s and is 5.0 m behind Sally, who has a speed of 5.0 m/s. During the remaining portion of the race, Sally decelerates at a constant rate of 0.48 m/s2 to the finish line.

What constant acceleration does Mary now need during the remaining portion of the race, if she wishes to cross the finish line side-by-side with Sally?

Homework Equations

(The final velocity of Sally)=Vsf2
(The initial velocity of Sally)=Vsi2
Vsf2:Vsi2-2ax
Vsf2=52-2*0.48*17
which is 3 m/s.
Vsf=Vsi+at
3=5-0.48t
t=4.16s

They should finish the race at the same time, so this is also the time in which Mary ran 17 m.

X=Vot+1/2at2
22=4*4.16+a*(4.16)2
5=2.08*4.16*a
and a=0.60 m/s2

This is an internet assignment and the program says this result is false.
Is there a mistake here? What do I do wrong? Thanks for any help :)

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Your final velocity of 3 m/s is 2.946... rounded off.
Not sure you can round off like that during the calculations.

EDIT: and also Mary had to run 22m. ( she was 5m behind)

Be careful about rounding off your intermediate calculations. For example, don't round off Sally's final speed to 3 m/s--that introduces errors in all subsequent calculations.

I did not round off the velocity of Sally, and this time I have t=4.375 s. When I do calculations according to the new value of t, I find the acceleration of Mary as 0.47 m/s^2. I still cannot figure out my mistake, and I used my last chance to answer it. Anyways, this question is a pain in the neck for me for a week.

My mistake that Mary ran 17 m, but I didn't do my calculations according to this mistake.
Thanks for your help :)

life is maths said:
I did not round off the velocity of Sally, and this time I have t=4.375 s.
I got 4.279 s.

Doc Al said:
I got 4.279 s.

That's true! I have no idea how I could find 4.375 s.

Then

22=4t+1/2at2
22-17.116=9.154a
4.884=9.154a
a=0.53m/s2

I should have been more careful with my calculations and rounding off... I've lost 20 points already, but at least I could solve it. Thanks a lot for your help, Doc Al :)

Related to Kinematics problem-finding acceleration

What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion.

What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

How do you find acceleration in a kinematics problem?

To find acceleration in a kinematics problem, you need to know the change in an object's velocity over a specific time interval. This can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time.

What is the difference between average and instantaneous acceleration?

Average acceleration is the change in velocity over a specific time interval, while instantaneous acceleration is the acceleration at a specific moment in time. Average acceleration can be calculated using two velocity values and the time interval, while instantaneous acceleration requires calculus to calculate at a specific point in time.

How is acceleration related to other kinematic quantities?

Acceleration is related to other kinematic quantities through equations such as vf = vi + at and d = vit + 1/2at^2, where vf represents final velocity, vi represents initial velocity, a represents acceleration, t represents time, and d represents displacement. These equations can be used to solve kinematics problems involving acceleration.