Kinematics question(angular velocity)

In summary, the given problem involves a circular cylinder with a mass of 1 kg and a radius of 0.1 m that is initially rotating about its cylindrical axis at a rate of 5 revolutions per second. The question asks for the translational speed of the cylinder when it is placed on a flat surface, assuming that there is no dissipation and the cylinder is rolling without slipping. By conserving rotational kinetic energy and solving for the final translational speed, the answer is calculated to be 1.81 m/s.
mcchoy528

Homework Statement

Question: A circular cylinder with mass of 1 kg and radius a=0.1 m is rotating about its cylindrical axis at a rate of 5 revolutions per second. It is then placed on a flat surface. Assuming that there is no dissipation at contact and the cylinder is rolling without slipping (with negligible rolling friction) on the flat surface, its translational speed is:

Homework Equations

v=rω

The Attempt at a Solution

v=0.1 (5*2π)=π m/s

The answer is 1.81m/s. Can anyone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
mcchoy528 said:

Homework Statement

Question: A circular cylinder with mass of 1 kg and radius a=0.1 m is rotating about its cylindrical axis at a rate of 5 revolutions per second. It is then placed on a flat surface. Assuming that there is no dissipation at contact and the cylinder is rolling without slipping (with negligible rolling friction) on the flat surface, its translational speed is:

Homework Equations

v=rω

The Attempt at a Solution

v=0.1 (5*2π)=π m/s

The answer is 1.81m/s. Can anyone help?

You've answered a different question. The question you have answered was:

If a cylinder is rolling without slipping at 5 rev/s then what is its translational speed.

That said, I'm not sure what the question is asking. If you put the spinning cylinder on a surface, then there must be energy loss before it gets to a state of rolling without slipping. But, the question seems to ask you to ignore this energy loss. Perhaps try that?

mcchoy528 said:
What is wrong with my attempt?

You've assumed that the cylinder has translational speed before it is placed on the surface.

how can I answer this question? The rotational kinetic energy is conserved.
1/2mv2=1/2Iω2
If I put the data into this equation, v=2.22m/s . I still can't get the answer.

mcchoy528 said:
how can I answer this question? The rotational kinetic energy is conserved.
1/2mv2=1/2Iω2
If I put the data into this equation, v=2.22m/s . I still can't get the answer.

Now you have assumed that the cylinder has stopped rotating and has only translational motion. Note that:

Initially the cylinder is rotating

Finally it is rolling without slipping

How can I calculate the final angular velocity? Is the final angular velocity=v/r?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I have got the correct approach.
1/2 I ωi2=1/2mv2+1/2 I ωf2
v=√1/3r2ωi2

Likes PeroK

1. What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of how fast an object is rotating or moving in a circular path. It is the rate of change of angular displacement and is typically measured in radians per second (rad/s) or degrees per second (°/s).

2. How is angular velocity calculated?

Angular velocity is calculated by dividing the change in angular displacement by the change in time. The formula is:
ω = Δθ/Δt
where ω is the angular velocity, Δθ is the change in angular displacement, and Δt is the change in time.

3. What is the difference between angular velocity and linear velocity?

Angular velocity measures the rate of change of angular displacement, while linear velocity measures the rate of change of linear displacement. Angular velocity is measured in a circular path, while linear velocity is measured in a straight line. Additionally, angular velocity is a vector quantity, while linear velocity is a scalar quantity.

4. How does angular velocity relate to rotational motion?

Angular velocity is a key component in describing rotational motion. It is used to calculate the angular acceleration and angular momentum of a rotating object. It also helps determine the direction and magnitude of the centripetal force acting on the object.

5. How is angular velocity used in real-life applications?

Angular velocity is used in a variety of real-life applications, such as in the design of machinery, vehicles, and sports equipment. It is also used in navigation systems, robotics, and astronomy to track the motion of objects in space. Additionally, angular velocity is used in physics experiments and simulations to study rotational motion and its effects.