Rigid Bodies/ Angular Velocity

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the velocity at point B and C using the equation v=ωr. The attempt at a solution involves using the instantaneous centre of zero velocity, but the correct solution is to use the relationship v_C=v_Bcos30. This can then be used to find the velocity at the centre of the gear.
WhiteWolf98

Homework Statement

f9f2b36b52142b4cee9169ed9f521b20.png

Homework Equations

##v=\omega r##

The Attempt at a Solution

So, using the equation, one can work out the velocity at point ##B##.
##v_B=\omega_{AB} \cdot r_B##
##v_B=6(0.4)=2.4~ ms^{-1}##I then tried working out the angular velocity at point ##C## using the instantaneous centre of zero velocity (I'm not sure of this is the correct next step. I don't think it is). But this ends up giving:
##\cos60= \frac {0.6} {r_{B/IC}}##
##r_{B/IC}=1.2##

Using ##v=\omega r##, this gives the angular velocity at point ##C## as ##2~rad/s##. This can't be right though since the velocity comes out as ##0.2## using ##r=0.1~m##

The answer is ##1.04~ms^{-1}##

Attachments

• f9f2b36b52142b4cee9169ed9f521b20.png
    f9f2b36b52142b4cee9169ed9f521b20.png
    24.2 KB · Views: 842
Physics news on Phys.org
WhiteWolf98 said:
I then tried working out the angular velocity at point C using the instantaneous centre of zero velocity
Not sure what that means, or how you got the next equation.
Think about the velocity of C. What is the relationship between that and B's velocity?

Could it be that ##v_C={v_B} \cos30##?

WhiteWolf98 said:
Could it be that ##v_C={v_B} \cos30##?
Quite so.

How can I use the velocity at point ##C## to work out the velocity at the centre of the gear?

WhiteWolf98 said:
How can I use the velocity at point ##C## to work out the velocity at the centre of the gear?
When in doubt, make a quick sketch:
upload_2018-12-11_17-40-16.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-12-11_17-40-16.png
    upload_2018-12-11_17-40-16.png
    1.3 KB · Views: 455

1. What is a rigid body?

A rigid body is an object that maintains its shape and size even when subjected to external forces. In other words, the distance between any two points on a rigid body remains constant, making it an idealized model for many physical systems.

2. How is the angular velocity of a rigid body defined?

Angular velocity is defined as the rate of change of angular displacement of a rigid body with respect to time. It is measured in radians per second and is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

3. What factors affect the angular velocity of a rigid body?

The angular velocity of a rigid body is affected by its moment of inertia, the applied torque, and any external forces acting on the body. An increase in moment of inertia or torque will result in a decrease in angular velocity, while external forces can either increase or decrease the angular velocity depending on their direction.

4. How is angular velocity different from linear velocity?

Angular velocity is the measure of rotational motion, while linear velocity is the measure of straight-line motion. Angular velocity is measured in terms of rotations per unit time, while linear velocity is measured in terms of distance per unit time.

5. What is the relationship between angular velocity and angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is the rate of change of angular velocity with respect to time. In other words, it is the measure of how quickly the angular velocity of a rigid body is changing. The relationship between angular velocity and angular acceleration is similar to that of linear velocity and linear acceleration, with angular acceleration being the derivative of angular velocity.