Kinematics question: Stunt driver jumping his car from ramp to ramp

In summary: I will call that distance ##d##.As we have said already that:##t_{up}~=~t_{down}##…we can say that the sum of the car’s vertical displacements in its way up and down is equal to the total height of the ramp B.##\frac12 g t_{up}^2~=~\frac12 g t_{down}^2~=~h_B##I will leave the substitution of ##h_B## in the equation that you have written on your post #9 as a personal exercise, in order to get the correct answer for ##d##.In summary, the conversation discusses using a specific equation to solve a problem involving velocity and time. The speaker
nicky670
Homework Statement
A stunts driver wants to make his car go up ramp A inclined at angle 𝜃 = 30∘
fly over ahorizontal void of 𝑥 m and land on another inclined ramp B inclined at angle 𝜙 as
shown in the figure. He drives off ramp A at 𝑣 = 90 𝑘𝑚 ∕ ℎ. If the height 𝐻 of ramp A
is 7.2 𝑚 and height ℎ of ramp B is 3.8 𝑚. (You can treat the car as a point object and
ignore its length.)
Relevant Equations
s = Vit + 0.5at^2
Do i use the equation above mentioned to solve it? If i do, am i correct to say that Vx = 90/3.6 cos 30 and Vy = 90/3.6 sin30?
phy7.PNG

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
nicky670 said:
Do i use the equation above mentioned to solve it? If i do, am i correct to say that Vx = 90/3.6 cos 30 and Vy = 90/3.6 sin30?
If you include the appropriate units, yes.

haruspex said:
If you include the appropriate units, yes.
okay so i wanted to find the time taken for the car to travel from start point to end point. And if i substitute the into the equation, will be 7.2 = 25sin30t - 0.5(9.8)t^2. But the t that i got is wrong from the answer, and so if i want to find the x distance when i substitute the t inside, i will get the wrong answer. What am i doing wrong?

nicky670 said:
7.2 =
Where on the target ramp do you want to land?

haruspex said:
Where on the target ramp do you want to land?
On top of ramp B, so i take 3.8?

nicky670 said:
On top of ramp B, so i take 3.8?
Maybe... depends what you mean by "take" here. Take something as being 3.8 or take away 3.8?

haruspex said:
Maybe... depends what you mean by "take" here. Take something as being 3.8 or take away 3.8?
Make the s in the equation, 3.8

nicky670 said:
Make the s in the equation, 3.8
In the equation ##s=v_it+\frac 12 at^2##, what is the definition of s?

nicky670 said:
okay so i wanted to find the time taken for the car to travel from start point to end point. And if i substitute the into the equation, will be 7.2 = 25sin30t - 0.5(9.8)t^2. But the t that i got is wrong from the answer, and so if i want to find the x distance when i substitute the t inside, i will get the wrong answer. What am i doing wrong?
Your error is in the application of that equation. :smile:
You will realize it as you respond the question in post #8 above.

“The time taken for the car to travel from start point to end point” horizontally is the same time taken for the car to vertically move up and down.

As the problem allows you to disregard the frictional drag of the air, we could say that the car will rise and fall only under the influence of the constant acceleration of gravity g all the time.

Assuming the same absence of air resistance, you could throw a ball or stone straight upwards at the same ##V_{iy}=12.5~m/s## that you have calculated and it would reach the same height relative to your hand that the car reaches respect to the departure point of ramp A.
You can easily calculate the time taken by the ball (or the car) to reach the peak or its highest point, let’s call it ##t_{up}##.

That ball would take the same amount of seconds in its way down than it took in its way up and it would land in your hand with a downwards velocity of 12.5 m/s.

If instead, the ball misses your hand and lands on a surface located several meters lower than your hand, the taken time to fall from the peak to that surface, as well as the landing velocity would be greater than the at-the-hand values.

Since the vertical up and down heights of the ball (as well as of your car) are not symmetrical, we could say that:

##Total~flight~time~=~t_{up}+t_{down}##

Applying that total flight time to the horizontal movement of the car, you could calculate the x distance between take-off and landing points of your car.

1. How does the speed of the car affect the distance it can jump?

The speed of the car directly affects the distance it can jump. According to the laws of kinematics, the distance traveled by an object is directly proportional to its initial velocity. This means that the faster the car is going when it leaves the ramp, the farther it will travel.

2. What role does the angle of the ramps play in the jump?

The angle of the ramps plays a crucial role in determining the trajectory of the car during the jump. The steeper the angle of the ramps, the higher the car will go and the shorter the distance it will travel. On the other hand, a lower angle will result in a longer jump but a lower height.

3. How does the weight of the car impact the jump?

The weight of the car affects the jump in two ways. First, a heavier car will require more force to accelerate, so it may not be able to achieve the necessary speed to make a long jump. Second, the weight of the car will also affect its trajectory during the jump. A heavier car will have a harder time maintaining its height and may not travel as far as a lighter car.

4. What other factors can affect the success of the jump?

Aside from speed, angle, and weight, there are other factors that can impact the success of the jump. These include air resistance, wind speed and direction, and the condition of the ramp surface. These factors can affect the car's velocity and trajectory, so they must be taken into consideration when planning a stunt jump.

5. How can we calculate the distance and speed of the car during the jump?

To calculate the distance and speed of the car during the jump, we can use the equations of kinematics. The distance can be calculated using the equation d = v0t + 1/2at^2, where v0 is the initial velocity, t is the time, and a is the acceleration. The speed can be calculated using the equation v = v0 + at, where v0 is the initial velocity and a is the acceleration. These equations can help us determine the necessary speed and angle for a successful jump.