Kinematics: Velocity and Distance of a Tennis Ball

In summary, the ball travels .
Fedor

Homework Statement

A ball approaches a tennis racquet with a velocity of [tex]30ms^-^1[/tex]. The racquet gives it an average acceleration of [tex]5000ms^-^2[/tex] for [tex]0.02s[/tex] in the opposite direction to it's initial velocity. What is the velocity of the ball after leaving the racquet and how far does the ball travel while undergoing this acceleration?

Homework Equations

Where: s=displacement, u=initial velocity, v=final velocity, a=acceleration, t=time

[tex]
v=u + at
[/tex]

[tex]
s=(1/2)(u+v)t
[/tex]

[tex]
v^2=u^2+2as
[/tex]

[tex]
s=ut+(1/2)at^2
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

What confuses me about this question is the wording used. So forgive me if it confuses you too but I've written the question the same as it was wrote. I don't want to say specifically what part of the question is confusing as I think it'd be best for you to interpret the question and answer without me influencing you.

So can somebody answer this 2 part question? I'd be happy to show how I think it's worked out but as I said earlier, I think the question can be interpreted in a number of ways so I'll wait for an answer before I give my interpretation.

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate all the feedback.

Physics news on Phys.org
From the way i see it i will solve this using impluse-momentum theory what's your approach? :biggrin:

Fedor said:
What confuses me about this question is the wording used. So forgive me if it confuses you too but I've written the question the same as it was wrote. I don't want to say specifically what part of the question is confusing as I think it'd be best for you to interpret the question and answer without me influencing you.

So can somebody answer this 2 part question? I'd be happy to show how I think it's worked out but as I said earlier, I think the question can be interpreted in a number of ways so I'll wait for an answer before I give my interpretation.

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate all the feedback.

Welcome to PF Fedor.

Hey, just FYI, we require students to show their attempt at solving a homework problem before giving help with the solution.

That being said, I'm guessing the confusion has to do with the question, "how far does the ball travel"? Do they simply mean the ball's displacement, or do they mean the total distance covered ... which would be different if the ball happens to reverse direction.

If this is a problem to be handed in, you might just work out both answers, and include a note to the grader that you found the wording of the question ambiguous.

Related to Kinematics: Velocity and Distance of a Tennis Ball

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is a branch of physics that studies the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion. It focuses on describing and analyzing the position, velocity, and acceleration of an object.

2. How is velocity measured?

Velocity is measured as the rate of change of an object's position over time. It is calculated by dividing the change in position by the change in time, and is typically expressed in meters per second (m/s).

3. How does a tennis ball's velocity change during a match?

A tennis ball's velocity can change in many ways during a match, depending on factors such as the force and angle of the tennis player's swing, the air resistance, and the surface of the court. Generally, the velocity will decrease as the ball moves through the air due to air resistance, and will increase when it bounces off the ground or racket.

4. What is the relationship between velocity and distance in kinematics?

In kinematics, the distance an object travels is directly related to its velocity. The greater the velocity, the faster the object will cover a certain distance. This relationship is described by the equation d = vt, where d is distance, v is velocity, and t is time.

5. How does kinematics apply to tennis?

In tennis, kinematics is used to analyze the motion of the ball as it travels through the air and bounces on the court. It helps players understand the trajectory and speed of the ball, as well as make predictions about where it will land. Knowing the kinematics of a tennis ball can also help players improve their technique and accuracy.