Kinetic and Potential Gravitational Energy Problem

In summary, when a 2.0kg watermelon falls out of a tree house 5.4m above the ground, it will reach a speed of 10.29m/s just before hitting the ground. When a 0.45kg cantaloupe falls out of the other side of the tree house and hits a tree branch at a speed of 6.3 m/s, the height of the branch from the ground is 3.38m. The mass of the cantaloupe does not affect the result as shown through energy conservation. In real life, the potential energy at the top of a snowy hill would be converted into kinetic, thermal, and sound energy.
Seinfeld4

Homework Statement

a) A watermelon with a mass of 2.0kg falls out of a tree house that is 5.4m above the ground. What is the speed of the watermelon just before it hits the ground?

First I found Eg to be 105.9 J based on the formula Eg = mg (h2 - h1).
Since the watermelon hits the ground, Eg = Ek. Then I found the velocity to be 10.29m/s from the formula v = sq.rt (2 Ek / m).

I (hopefully) did this part properly.

b) A cantaloupe with a mass of 0.45kg falls out of the other side of the tree house. It hits a tree branch at a speed of 6.3 m/s. How high is the tree branch from the ground?

This is the part I'm having a bit of trouble with.

The only thing I can think of using is the formula for height.

h = ((v1)^2 - (vf)^2) / 2g
h = (0 - (6.3m/s)^2) / (2 * 9.81m/s^2)
h = -2.02m

Then 5.4m - 2.02m = 3.38m from the ground to the branch.

When I do it this way, I'm not using the information given in the question, which was the mass, 0.45kg. So, I think I'm doing it incorrectly. Can anybody help me out? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
When you equate the kinetic and potential energies, the mass gets cancelled.

[itex]mgh=\frac{1}{2} m v^{2}[/itex]

Also the equation you used reads as:

[itex]v_{f}^{2}-v_{i}^{2}=2gh[/itex]

You switched the position of the final and initial velocities, giving a negative height; how can a height be negative? If you switch those two, you get 2.02 m covered out of 5.4 m. So the distance of the branch from the ground is 5.4-2.02 = 3.38 m.

Thanks for the response!

Hmmm...my book says h = ((v1)^2 - (vf)^2) / 2g. I just triple checked.

Oh well, I just assumed that the negative height meant that it was being measured from the top down instead of the bottom up.

But is 3.38m the correct answer then? I would have thought it would have something to do with the cantaloupe being 0.45kg, otherwise why would they give you that information? Unless they're trying to trick me and doing a good job of it haha

v1 should be the final velocity in that case (6.3 m/s) and vf should be the initial velocity (0 m/s). To see why the mass does not affect the result, you can use energy conservation:

Suppose the branch is h meters above the ground. So the height covered by the cantaloupe is (5.4-h) meters. Hence the amount of potential energy converted to kinetic is mg(5.4-h). Using energy conservation,

[itex]\frac{1}{2} m v^{2} = mg(5.4-h)[/itex]

So the m will cancel. Solving through for h will give the same answer you got from kinematics.

Ok, thanks a lot, much appreciated!

Just one more quick question if you don't mind.

What are the basic energy conversions that take place when someone at the top of a snowy hill toboggans down?

Is it just gravitational potential energy - kinetic energy

Or, is it gravitational potential energy - kinetic AND thermal energy (due to friction on the way down)?

In real life, the potential energy at the top would be converted into kinetic energy & thermal energy as you mentioned, but also into sound. This means you can't simply equate kinetic and potential energies to find velocity at the bottom of the hill!

Related to Kinetic and Potential Gravitational Energy Problem

1. What is kinetic energy in relation to gravitational energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. In terms of gravitational energy, it is the energy an object has due to its position in a gravitational field, which allows it to move and gain kinetic energy.

2. How does potential gravitational energy differ from kinetic energy?

Potential gravitational energy is the energy an object has due to its position in a gravitational field, while kinetic energy is the energy it has due to its motion. Potential energy can be converted into kinetic energy as an object moves downward in a gravitational field.

3. How is gravitational energy calculated?

Gravitational energy is calculated using the formula E = mgh, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the object in the gravitational field.

4. How does the height of an object affect its gravitational energy?

The higher an object is in a gravitational field, the greater its potential gravitational energy. This is because the object has to overcome a greater distance to move against the force of gravity, and thus has more potential to gain kinetic energy when it falls.

5. Can kinetic energy be converted into potential gravitational energy?

Yes, kinetic energy can be converted into potential gravitational energy and vice versa. When an object falls, its kinetic energy increases and its potential energy decreases. When it reaches the ground, all of its potential energy is converted into kinetic energy.