Kinetic energy of ball sliding down slope with electric field?

In summary, the kinetic energy of the positively charged ball sliding down the slope with an electric field of 26.1 N/C is 11,900 J. To stop the ball at Point B, a minimum electric field of 29 N/C (in the opposite direction) is needed.
asdf12312
Kinetic energy of ball sliding down slope with electric field??

34pe6mb.jpg

Homework Statement

As shown in the figure above, a positively charged ball is placed at point A and slides down the slope from rest. The area has a uniform electric field E = 26.1 N/C, pointing to the right. The mass of the ball is m = 27 kg and the charge is q = +4.6 C. When the ball reaches point B, it travels horizontally there after. The height from A to B is h = 23 m and the horizontal distance between A and B is d = 47 m. You can ignore friction and use g = 10 m/s2 for your calculation.

1. How much is the kinetic energy of the ball when it reaches at B (in the unit of J)?

2. If the electric field is changed to the opposite direction, How much is the kinetic energy of the ball when it reaches at B (in the unit of J) now?

3. What is the minimum strength of electric field E that can be used to stop the particle right at Point B?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

probably need to use Ke = qEd ..? i tried but getting the wrong answer. for d i calculate using pythorean x^2+y^2=d^2 so 23^2+47^2=d^2 is that rite way to do?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Energy conservation is a good approach, but you have to consider both the electric and the gravitational energy of the ball.
The distances in those formulas are always along the direction of the force. You don't need the length of the ramp ("d").

I don't see any figure, but I can imagine how the setup looks like.

I would use d as you derived it. Then compute force along d times distance for the E and the g fields.

ok i have gravitation potential energy U=mgh=27*10*23=6210 but how do i use this with the Ke equation (qEd)?

asdf12312 said:
ok i have gravitation potential energy U=mgh=27*10*23=6210 but how do i use this with the Ke equation (qEd)?

Compute the force along d due to the electric field, multiply by d, and you have a (negative) energy to subtract from the gravitational potential energy. The difference is your k.e. at B.

BTW qEd is not energy. It's force.

asdf12312 said:

next, try getting the potential energy from the electric field... add the two potential energies and get the velocity after that!

rude man said:
...you have a (negative) energy to subtract from the gravitational potential energy. The difference is your k.e. at B.
why negative energy? the charge is positive right?

rude man said:
Compute the force along d due to the electric field, multiply by d, and you have a (negative) energy to subtract from the gravitational potential energy. The difference is your k.e. at B.

BTW qEd is not energy. It's force.

Ke = q*E*d - -(m*g*d)

is d the same for both calculations?
Ke = d(qE+mg)

something like that?

asdf12312 said:
Ke = q*E*d - m*g*d

is d the same for both calculations?
Ke = d(qE-mg)

something like that?

wait... it's Ke=qEd+mgh... not mgd...
yup that's all!

deep838 said:
wait... it's Ke=qEd+mgh... not mgd...
yup that's all!

i see..so we simply use d and h given in the problem? no need to use pythagorean theorem then.

Ke=qEd+mgh=5643+6210= ~11 900 JSo I understand #2 as well, for #3 do we have to get Ke to equal 0? So then 6210/qd= ~29N/C electric field (negative in value)
did i do this rite?

Last edited:

asdf12312 said:
i see..so we simply use d and h given in the problem? no need to use pythagorean theorem then.
Right.
The approach "rude man" described is possible, too, but it requires more calculations.

deep838 said:
why negative energy? the charge is positive right?

Right. I was not privy to the illustration originally & imagined the ramp to go to the left & the E field to the right. This was obviously also buttressed by part c of the question ...

I also agree that this should be done via energy conservation since the ramp is not linear as I had imagined from the OP's initial submission.

asdf12312 said:

Ke=qEd+mgh=5643+6210= ~11 900 J

So I understand #2 as well, for #3 do we have to get Ke to equal 0? So then 6210/qd= ~29N/C electric field (negative in value)
did i do this rite?

You have my vote!

yup...that's all for this problem...

Related to Kinetic energy of ball sliding down slope with electric field?

1. What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion.

2. How is kinetic energy calculated?

Kinetic energy can be calculated using the equation KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is its velocity.

3. How does the electric field affect the kinetic energy of a ball sliding down a slope?

The electric field can increase or decrease the kinetic energy of a ball sliding down a slope depending on the direction and strength of the field. If the electric field is in the same direction as the motion of the ball, it will increase the kinetic energy. If the electric field is in the opposite direction, it will decrease the kinetic energy.

4. How does the slope of the surface affect the kinetic energy of the ball?

A steeper slope will increase the kinetic energy of the ball due to the increased gravitational force pulling the ball down the slope. A shallower slope will decrease the kinetic energy as there is less gravitational force acting on the ball.

5. Can the kinetic energy of the ball be converted into electrical energy?

Yes, the kinetic energy of the ball can be converted into electrical energy through the use of a generator or other energy conversion devices. This is known as the principle of energy conversion, where energy can be transformed from one form to another.