Kinetic energy of positron and proton

In summary: Alternatively, the particles could be released one at a time and then the equation would need to be solved for each particle separately.
Gummy_Bear
1.e problem statement, all variables and given/known data
Two positrons and two protons are kept on the four corners of a square of side a. Positrons are kept at vertices A and C and protons are kept at B and D. let q denote the charge on both positron as well as the proton. So what is the kinetic energy of the positron and proton respectively after a long time ?

Homework Equations

I used the work energy theorem ie
Change in k.e. = wk. done
And work done = kq²/a

The Attempt at a Solution

First I calculated the kinetic energy of the positron due to all the 3 charges. I got the equation 2*kq²/a + kq²/root 2.
But the value that came after simplifying this equation did not match with the answer given in my book...

Physics news on Phys.org
Gummy_Bear said:
1.e problem statement, all variables and given/known data
Two positrons and two protons are kept on the four corners of a square of side a. Positrons are kept at vertices A and C and protons are kept at B and D. let q denote the charge on both positron as well as the proton. So what is the kinetic energy of the positron and proton respectively after a long time ?
Is this the complete statement of the problem? Are all four particles released from rest at the same time?

Yes this is the complete statement. I am also confused because i can't figure out how to solve it.

Gummy_Bear said:
Yes this is the complete statement.
Without knowing how many particles are released and whether or not they are released simultaneously, the question is ambiguous. The question states that the protons and positrons are "kept" on the corners of the square which could imply that none of the particles are able to move (which would make the problem fairly easy to solve :smile:).

Last edited:

1. What is the kinetic energy of a positron and a proton?

The kinetic energy of a positron and a proton is dependent on their respective speeds and masses. It can be calculated using the formula KE = (1/2)mv^2, where m is the mass and v is the velocity.

2. How does the kinetic energy of a positron compare to that of a proton?

The kinetic energy of a positron is equal to that of a proton with the same mass and velocity. However, since positrons have a much smaller mass than protons, their kinetic energy is typically higher for the same speed.

3. Can the kinetic energy of a positron and a proton be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, according to the law of conservation of energy, the kinetic energy of a positron and a proton can be converted into other forms of energy, such as potential energy, thermal energy, or light energy.

4. How does the kinetic energy of a positron and a proton affect their interactions with other particles?

The kinetic energy of a positron and a proton determines their speed and momentum, which in turn affects their interactions with other particles. Higher kinetic energy can result in greater impact and potential for reactions.

5. Is the kinetic energy of a positron and a proton affected by external factors?

Yes, the kinetic energy of a positron and a proton can be affected by external factors such as electric and magnetic fields, as well as the presence of other particles that may cause collisions or interactions.