Unfixed charges released from rest

In summary, a proton and an "positron" (identical to an electron, except positively charged) are brought 5µm apart and released from rest. They need to share the energy from their motion, so each charge has a percentage of the total at any given moment. After repelling a long distance apart, the proton's speed is v_f = ? m/s and the positron's is v_f = ? m/s.
END

Homework Statement

a.) [/B]A proton and an "positron" (identical to an electron, except positively charged) are brought ##5µm## apart and released from rest.

What is the initial potential energy stored by this system?

b.) In all of the previous problems on this homework, the system's collective potential energy has been assigned to a single charge which is moveable. In this problem, we'll let BOTH charges move. The collective kinetic energy of the charges ##K_{sys}## will be drawn from ##U_{sys}##. However, since both charges are moving, they will need to "share" this energy.

Once in motion, what percentage of ##K_{sys}## does each charge have at any given moment?
proton: K = ?% of ##K_{sys}##
positron: K = ?% of ##K_{sys}##
(In this scenario, how valid is our usual approximation to assign the entire Usys to one particle? Which particle should it be assigned to?)

What is the speed of each charge after they have repelled a long distance apart?
proton: ##v_f = ? m/s##
positron: ##v_f = ? m/s##

Homework Equations

$$U=\frac{kQq}{r}$$
$$p=m_1v_1+m_2v_2$$
$$U_{sys}=\frac{1}{2}m_1v_1^2+\frac{1}{2}m_2v_2^2$$

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved a.) and got ##4.613137\times10^{-23}## which is the correct answer.

When solving for the allotted distribution of kinetic energy, I thought about using the conservation of linear momentum ##p=m_1v_1+m_2v_2## where ##p=0## initially. From this I find that the ratio of masses is proportional to the ratio of velocities such that
$$-\frac{m_+}{m_p}=\frac{v_p}{v_+}$$
where "##+##" indicates the positron.

I wasn't sure where I could go from there, so I decided to substitute ##-\frac{m_+}{m_p}v_+=v_p## into the kinetic energy equation.

$$U_{sys}=\frac{1}{2}m_p(\frac{m_+}{m_p}v_+)^2+\frac{1}{2}m_+v_+^2$$

I'm not entirely sure if this is the right approach, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
b) Your momentum idea is fine. Notice that you are asked, not what the KE is at any time, but what the % distribution between them is. Percentage is just a sort of ratio: instead of saying A:B is something, you are saying A as % = ##\frac{A}{A+B}## x 100
If you find the ratio A:B, you just rewrite it as %.

BTW in a) you say, "I solved a.) and got 4.613137×10−23 which is the correct answer. " I don't want to be mean, but I would not consider an answer like this correct, because the unit is not stated. You know what it is of course and so does your tutor, but I think we should always put it, just in case were talking to Americans about sending spacecraft to Mars.

Thanks, Merlin! I'm glad I was on the right track.

I was able to get the correct answers to the rest of the problem thanks to your help.

Best!

1. What are unfixed charges released from rest?

Unfixed charges released from rest refer to electric charges that are not fixed in place and are allowed to move freely within a conductor. This movement of charges is known as an electric current.

2. What causes unfixed charges to be released from rest?

Unfixed charges are released from rest when a potential difference is applied across a conductor. This potential difference creates an electric field, which in turn, causes the charges to move.

3. How do unfixed charges released from rest contribute to electricity?

The movement of unfixed charges released from rest is what generates electricity. As the charges move, they create a flow of electrons, which can be harnessed to power electrical devices.

4. What is the difference between fixed and unfixed charges?

Fixed charges refer to electric charges that are held in place and cannot move, such as those found in an insulator. Unfixed charges, on the other hand, are free to move within a conductor.

5. How is the movement of unfixed charges released from rest measured?

The movement of unfixed charges is measured in amperes (A), which is a unit of electric current. This is typically done using an ammeter, which measures the flow of charges through a circuit.