Kinetics of a rigid body (conservation of energy)

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a spring and a rotating bar in a vertical plane. The participants discuss the use of equations and formulas to calculate the displacement and potential energy of the spring, as well as the use of English engineering units for measurements. They also clarify the potential energy stored in a spring and the change in height of the bar's center of gravity during rotation.
sseebbeekkk

Homework Statement

eZTS4A6.jpg
[/B]

Homework Equations

[/B]
(1) (pink) Is it vertical displacement ?
* 4 - 2 (unstretched length of the spring) ?

(2) (blue) What does it mean ?
* I was thinking that maybe they used The Pythagorean theorem (62+42)=7,2 ≅ 7) but I'm not sure. Besides I don't understand why they used it.

3. Attempt

My reasoning: In general I think they are using this formula,
upload_2015-7-17_13-20-26.png

where in that case the left side is the initial state - the right side - the final state of the spring.

Attachments

• upload_2015-7-17_13-20-15.png
    upload_2015-7-17_13-20-15.png
    7.1 KB · Views: 401
Physics news on Phys.org
I recommend setting it up carefully in terms of conservation of energy, expressing T and V in terms of all the relevant quantities (leaving as symbols), making simplifications, solving for the unknown (with symbols), and plugging in numbers at the end.

The 4-2 and 7-2 are both calculations of spring extension. In each case, 2 is the relaxed length. At the horizontal position, the total length is 4, so the extension is 4-2. After rotating 30 degrees, the total length is 4+6 sin(30)=7.
I don't like the way they divide the mass by 32.2 in the KE terms. It seems more natural to me to multiply by 32.2 in the other terms - it comes to the same thing, of course. Maybe their way is standard in this non-metric system. I have no background in it.

Dr. Courtney said:
The English (Imperial) unit of mass is slugs. One obtains mass by dividing weight (lbs) by the acceleration of gravity (32.2 ft/s/s) to obtain the mass in slugs.

I thought ballistics was the last holdout still using English units for real physics.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_Engineering_units
Ok, thanks.

Thank you for help.

Dr. Courtney - is this equation correct ?

X0yeXaC.png

If a spring is not stretched or compressed, then there is no elastic potential energy stored in it.

However in this case at the beggining the spring was stretched 2 metres (4-2=2), hence 1/2*k*s1^2

At the end, the spring was stretched 5 meters (7-2=5), hence 1/2*k*s2^2

'W' stands for: work of a weight -> WΔy= 50 * (1.5)

I think the only potential energy is due to the spring. If the spring lies the ground then mgh=0

sseebbeekkk said:
I think the only potential energy is due to the spring. If the spring lies the ground then mgh=0
The massive bar is rotating in a vertical plane. Are you saying its centre of gravity does not change in height?

Ok, it does. Thanks.

Related to Kinetics of a rigid body (conservation of energy)

1. What is the definition of "kinetics of a rigid body"?

The kinetics of a rigid body is a branch of physics that studies the motion of objects that have a definite shape and size, and whose internal parts do not change their relative positions.

2. What is meant by "conservation of energy" in the context of kinetics of a rigid body?

Conservation of energy refers to the principle that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or transformed. In the context of kinetics of a rigid body, this means that the total energy of the system (kinetic and potential) remains constant, even as the body undergoes motion.

3. How is the conservation of energy related to the motion of a rigid body?

The conservation of energy is related to the motion of a rigid body because it allows us to analyze and predict the motion of the body based on the energy it possesses. As the body moves, its kinetic and potential energy may change, but their sum remains constant due to the conservation of energy.

4. What factors affect the kinetic energy of a rigid body?

The kinetic energy of a rigid body is affected by its mass and velocity. As the mass or velocity of the body increases, its kinetic energy also increases. The shape and size of the body do not affect its kinetic energy, as long as it remains rigid.

5. How is the conservation of energy applied in real-life situations involving rigid bodies?

The conservation of energy is applied in many real-life situations involving rigid bodies, such as the motion of a pendulum, a rolling ball, or a swinging door. By understanding the principles of conservation of energy and the motion of rigid bodies, we can design and optimize structures and machines for efficient and safe operation.