Can a Graph of Concentration vs. Time Reveal a Balanced Chemical Equation?

In summary, to determine the balanced chemical equation from a graph of concentrations over time, you can find the ratios between the rates of change for each species and use these ratios to determine the coefficients in the equation. This can be done by comparing the concentrations of the species at any two times on the graph.
Fetch

Homework Statement

I'm just rewording the question, because there is one thing in particular I'm after.

Given a graph of A, B, & C in Concentration(y) versus time(x), can you determine the balanced chemical equation?
Is that possible? I guess if you found the rates and then checked to see how the ratios compared then you'd know the coefficient since its something like -1/a*[A]/delta T = -1/b*/delta T = 1/c*[C]/delta T = 1/d*[D]/delta T

Homework Equations

General Ratios between rates in chemical kinetics.

The Attempt at a Solution

Stated in the problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
Fetch said:

Homework Statement

I'm just rewording the question, because there is one thing in particular I'm after.

Given a graph of A, B, & C in Concentration(y) versus time(x), can you determine the balanced chemical equation?
Is that possible? I guess if you found the rates and then checked to see how the ratios compared then you'd know the coefficient since its something like -1/a*[A]/delta T = -1/b*/delta T = 1/c*[C]/delta T = 1/d*[D]/delta T

Homework Equations

General Ratios between rates in chemical kinetics.

The Attempt at a Solution

Stated in the problem.

If you think about it you can determine the balanced equation from [A], and [C] at any two times, i.e. by the changes of these. Graphically estimated rates incorporate this information for several different times, but the time factor is irrelevant.

1. What is chemical kinetics?

Chemical kinetics is the study of the rates at which chemical reactions occur, and the factors that influence these rates. It involves the use of mathematical models and experimental data to understand the mechanisms of chemical reactions.

2. How is chemical kinetics related to graphing?

Graphing is an important tool in chemical kinetics because it allows scientists to visualize the relationship between reaction rate and other variables, such as concentration and time. By plotting data on a graph, patterns and trends can be identified and used to determine the rate of a chemical reaction.

3. What are the typical shapes of reaction rate graphs?

The shape of a reaction rate graph depends on the type of reaction being studied. In general, the rate will increase as the concentration of reactants increases, and then level off or decrease as the reaction progresses. The graph may be linear, exponential, or logarithmic in shape.

4. How can I use a reaction rate graph to determine the order of a reaction?

The order of a reaction can be determined by examining the slope of a reaction rate graph. If the rate is directly proportional to the concentration of a single reactant, the reaction is first order. If the rate is proportional to the concentration of two reactants, the reaction is second order. And if the rate is independent of concentration, the reaction is zero order.

5. What factors can affect the shape of a reaction rate graph?

Several factors can influence the shape of a reaction rate graph, including temperature, pressure, catalysts, and the presence of inhibitors. Changes in these factors can alter the rate at which reactants collide and form products, and therefore impact the shape of the graph.