Kinetics with Pressure: Explanation & Derivation

In summary, the conversation is about a formula found in a physical chemistry book and the poster is seeking an explanation and derivation of its purpose. The formula is related to first order reaction rate and is used to determine the pressure at t = ∞ in an isothermal reaction. The conversation also mentions that the pressure kinetics for this reaction is simple and may not result in a change of pressure.
sidt36
This post is not about a homework problem but about a derivation
When i was flipping through a physical chemistry book I found a formula which looked like
Capture4.PNG

How ever I am clueless to what it is

Can anyone explain what it is for
And possibly Derive it

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Flipping, eh ?
Google first order reaction rate

This must be for an isothermal reaction.

In which case, when n = 1, if the pressure is P0 at the start what is it at t = ∞ ?

The pressure kinetics is exceptionally easy, not to say degenerate. :oldlaugh:

I don't know why I am that dumb but i haven't been able to derive it at all

Maybe you are looking for something too clever or complicated.

If all the chemical reaction is one molecule of A producing one of B, then there is just no change of pressure.

1. How does pressure affect reaction rates?

Pressure affects reaction rates through the collision theory. As pressure increases, the molecules in a gas become more crowded and the frequency of collisions between molecules increases. This leads to an increase in the number of successful collisions, resulting in a faster reaction rate.

2. What is the relationship between pressure and reaction rate?

The relationship between pressure and reaction rate is directly proportional. This means that as pressure increases, the reaction rate also increases. Conversely, as pressure decreases, the reaction rate decreases.

3. How do you derive the rate law with respect to pressure?

The rate law with respect to pressure can be derived by considering the ideal gas law and the collision theory. The ideal gas law states that pressure is directly proportional to the concentration of gas molecules. The collision theory states that the rate of a reaction is directly proportional to the frequency of collisions between molecules. Therefore, the rate law with respect to pressure can be written as Rate = k[pressure].

4. How does pressure affect the equilibrium constant?

Pressure does not affect the equilibrium constant. This is because the equilibrium constant is a ratio of the concentration of products to the concentration of reactants, and pressure does not change the concentration of these species. However, pressure can affect the position of equilibrium by changing the partial pressures of reactants and products, which can alter the value of the equilibrium constant.

5. Can pressure be used to control the rate of a chemical reaction?

Yes, pressure can be used to control the rate of a chemical reaction. By increasing pressure, the reaction rate will also increase. This can be useful in industrial processes where a faster reaction rate is desired. However, pressure should be carefully controlled as too much pressure can also lead to unwanted side reactions or even explosion.