Kirchoff's Loop Rule Involving 2 Resistors and a Capacitor

In summary, to find the time taken for the voltage across the capacitor to rise from zero initial value to 2V after the switch is closed, Kirchoff's loop and junction rules are used. The voltage across the capacitor is found by adding the forced response (steady state response) and the transient response. The forced response is found using voltage division and the transient response is found using a differential equation with the time constant RC. The time at which the voltage reaches 2V can then be found by substituting the initial condition and solving for t. This can also be done by using Thevenin equivalent to simplify the circuit.
Niall Kennedy
Member advised to use the homework template for posts in the homework sections of PF.
A 5μF capacitor is connected in parallel with a 2MΩ resistor and the combination is then connected in series with a 1MΩ resistor through a switch to a 12V battery. Find the time taken for the voltage across the capacitor to rise from zero initial value to 2V after the switch is closed.From what I understand this requires Kirchoff's loop and junction rules which is okay up until I hit the voltage across the capacitor which is where I get stuck.Here's the diagram I made to work from, hopefully it's right:
yV9S3QY.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Vc(t)=Forced response + Transient response
forced response"steady state response" is found at time equals infinity at which the capacitor becomes open circuit
here it is : 12*(2/3)=8 volts ... voltage division

Thanks for the help, I was going to go around it that way but my issue was that taw = RC and I'm not sure what taw is since there's a resistor in series and one in parallel

R is the parallel combination of R1 and R2

Hint: Think Thevenin equivalent.

1. What is Kirchoff's Loop Rule?

Kirchoff's Loop Rule, also known as Kirchoff's Voltage Law, is a fundamental law in circuit analysis that states that the sum of voltages around a closed loop in a circuit must equal zero.

2. How does Kirchoff's Loop Rule apply to circuits with 2 resistors and a capacitor?

In circuits with 2 resistors and a capacitor, Kirchoff's Loop Rule can be used to determine the voltage drop across each component in the circuit. The sum of the voltages across the resistors and the capacitor must equal the total applied voltage.

3. What is the equation for Kirchoff's Loop Rule in circuits with 2 resistors and a capacitor?

The equation for Kirchoff's Loop Rule in this type of circuit is: VR1 + VR2 + VC = Vtotal, where VR1 and VR2 are the voltage drops across the resistors, VC is the voltage drop across the capacitor, and Vtotal is the total applied voltage.

4. How is Kirchoff's Loop Rule useful in circuit analysis?

Kirchoff's Loop Rule is useful in circuit analysis because it allows us to determine the voltage drop across each component in a circuit, which is important for understanding how the circuit is functioning and how to optimize its performance.

5. Are there any limitations to Kirchoff's Loop Rule in circuits with 2 resistors and a capacitor?

Yes, Kirchoff's Loop Rule assumes that all components in the circuit are connected in series and that there are no other sources of voltage or current in the circuit. It also assumes that the circuit is in a steady state, meaning that all components have reached their maximum values and are not changing over time.