Kitchen Chemistry. Cooking pasta

In summary, pasta should be cooked uncovered to reduce the energy required to cook it. This is because the lid will raise the boiling point of the water, making the final product less starchy.
mrspeedybob
My wife insists that pasta is not to be cooked with the lid on the pot. I reason that the cooking temperature must be fairly constant at the boiling point of water, so the energy required to cook the pasta can be reduced by putting a lid on the pot and turning the burner down just enough that the water does not boil over. It is true that many online sources specify that pasta is to be cooked uncovered so I tried to come up with possible explanations.

I do understand that the lid will slightly raise the pressure at the surface of the water, thus causing a slight increase in the boiling point, but I can't imagine it being a significant increase.

A recipe that specifies pasta to be cooked uncovered may include a certain amount of extra water, which is intended to boil away. Making this recipe with that amount of water, but in a covered pot, may result in too much water remaining in the pot. I find this hypothesis unlikely due to the fact that pasta is usually drained of excess water after cooking.

Uncovered pasta is less likely to boil over and make a mess on the stove. I believe this is the most likely reason that most culinary web sites specify pasta to be cooked in an open pot.

Am I correct? Does anybody else have any insight on why most culinary websites specify pasta to be cooked uncovered? Can it, in fact, have a perceptable influence on the final product?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you cook pasta covered it'll go slimy/starchy.

So it's your choice, you can save 0.001% of the energy to cook the pasta that tastes terrible. OR, listen to your wife and do it properly.

What is physically different about the water that the pasta is cooking in that depends on the presence or absence of the lid?

Not got a clue, a covered pot makes crap pasta. An open pot makes crap rice.

It's magic.

mrspeedybob said:
What is physically different about the water that the pasta is cooking in that depends on the presence or absence of the lid?

Pasta cooks best when it's in constant vigorous motion. Lots of heat at the bottom of the pot and rapid heat loss at the top means lots of convection through the water to keep things moving. Indeed, if you're ever stuck trying to cook pasta over too small a burner, you can sometimes salvage the situation by vigorously stirring the pasta as it cooks.

That sounds plausable. Thanks.

1. How does salt affect the boiling point of water when cooking pasta?

Salt increases the boiling point of water, meaning it takes longer for the water to reach its boiling point. This leads to a longer cooking time for the pasta.

2. Why do some recipes call for adding oil to pasta water?

Adding oil to pasta water can prevent the pasta from sticking together. However, it can also make the pasta more slippery and prevent sauces from sticking to it.

3. Can you use any type of pasta for cooking experiments?

Yes, you can use any type of pasta for kitchen chemistry experiments. However, different types of pasta may have different cooking times and properties, so it's important to follow the recipe or experiment instructions closely.

4. What is the science behind al dente pasta?

Al dente pasta means "to the tooth" in Italian, and refers to pasta that is cooked to a firm, slightly chewy texture. This is achieved by cooking the pasta for a shorter amount of time, which leaves the center of the pasta slightly undercooked and resistant to being bitten through. This texture is preferred by some because it allows for better absorption of sauces and toppings.

5. How does the shape of pasta affect its cooking time?

The shape of pasta can affect its cooking time because different shapes have different surface areas and densities. For example, thinner and more compact shapes may cook faster than thicker or more hollow shapes. It's important to follow the recommended cooking times for specific pasta shapes to achieve the desired texture.