Klein paradox in the massless case

In summary, the conversation discusses the Klein paradox in the massless case and how it relates to a potential step of height ##V_0##. The speaker is able to understand the paradox and questions what happens at the limit case ##E_0 = V_0##. They explain that the Dirac equation for the spinor's components becomes ##0 = 0## and thus there are no conditions for the value of those components. The speaker presents two scenarios where they choose different values for the components and still get a transmission probability of ##T=1## or ##R=1##. They question what would happen in real life and suggest that the good answer may be ##T=1## based on the continuity of ##T
Paul159
I have a question about the Klein paradox in the massless case, for a potential step of height ##V_0## (this is exactly the situation described by Wikipedia). I don't have a problem to understand the "paradox", and I think the Wikipedia's illustration is quite telling.
My question is : what append at the limit case ##E_0 = V_0## ? The "wave function" after the step is constant (##k=0##), and the Dirac equation for the spinor's components ##\Psi_1##, ##\Psi_2## become ##0 = 0##... Thus there are no conditions for the value of those components. If I choose ##\Psi_1 = \Psi_2 = 1## for example, I still get ##T=1##. If I choose ##\Psi_1 = -\Psi_2 = 1##, I get ##R=1##. I "understand" this with the fact that at the node the group velocity is not defined.
So what would really happen in real life ?

400px-Dispersion1.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Edit : By continuity of ##T(E)## I would say that the good answer is ##T=1##. Also if I end the step potential (I take a potential barrier), the electron coming from the left has to pass the barrier, as it can't change its group velocity. So for me ##T## is always ##1##, even in the pathological case ##E=V_0##.

1. What is the Klein paradox in the massless case?

The Klein paradox in the massless case is a phenomenon in quantum mechanics where a massless particle, such as a photon, can penetrate a potential barrier with 100% probability. This is in contrast to classical mechanics, where a particle with insufficient energy would be reflected by the barrier.

2. How does the Klein paradox in the massless case occur?

The Klein paradox in the massless case occurs due to the wave-particle duality of quantum mechanics. The massless particle behaves as a wave, and its wave function can extend into the barrier, allowing it to tunnel through with 100% probability.

3. What are the implications of the Klein paradox in the massless case?

The Klein paradox in the massless case challenges our understanding of classical mechanics and the concept of a potential barrier. It also has practical implications in the design of electronic devices, where the behavior of massless particles must be taken into account.

4. Can the Klein paradox in the massless case be observed in experiments?

Yes, the Klein paradox in the massless case has been observed in experiments with photons and other massless particles. This phenomenon has also been observed in graphene, a material with massless electrons.

5. How does the Klein paradox in the massless case relate to the Dirac equation?

The Klein paradox in the massless case is a consequence of the Dirac equation, which describes the behavior of massless particles. The Dirac equation incorporates both quantum mechanics and special relativity, and it predicts the occurrence of the Klein paradox in the massless case.