Potential step at a Barrier in Quantum mechanics

In summary, the conversation discusses the cases of ##E<V_0## and ##E>V_0## in quantum mechanics, where ##E## is the energy of the particle and ##V_0## is the height of the barrier. The question is raised as to why ##E=V_0## is not discussed. The conversation then delves into the equations and solutions for ##x<0## and ##x\geq 0##, where the system cannot be solved without setting ##C=0##. The conversation also mentions using virtual simulations to understand the concept better and the possibility of not having a bound state. The conversation concludes with a discussion on the validity of a wave function not approaching zero at ##- \
LagrangeEuler
In quantum mechanics in books authors discuss only cases ##E<V_0## and ##E>V_0##, where ##E## is energy of the particle and ##V_0## is height of the barrier. Why not ##E=V_0##?

In that case for ##x<0##
[tex]\psi_1(x)=Ae^{ikx}+Be^{-ikx}[/tex]
and for ##x\geq 0##
[tex]\psi_2(x)=Cx+D [/tex]
and then from ##\psi_1(0)=\psi_2(0)## and ##\psi_1'(0)=\psi_2'(0)## I got a system
[tex]1+\frac{B}{A}=\frac{D}{A}[/tex]
[tex]ik-ik\frac{B}{A}=\frac{C}{A}[/tex]
and I can not solve this. Maybe is necessary to take ##C=0##? But why?

Physics news on Phys.org
LagrangeEuler said:
Maybe is necessary to take ##C=0##? But why?
If ##C \ne 0##, what happens to ##\psi_2(x)## as ##x \rightarrow +\infty##?

Likes vanhees71
I like to suggest people try virtual simulations in addition to going through the math. When you try the simulation at that link make sure to check the boxes for 'show energy levels' and 'show transmission and reflection probabilities'.

Well in that case I will not have bound state. So wave function will go to either to ##+\infty## or ##-\infty##. But why I should have bound state?

LagrangeEuler said:
in that case I will not have bound state. So wave function will go to either to ##- \infty## or ##\infty##.

If a wave function does not go to zero at ##- \infty## or ##\infty##, is it valid?

LagrangeEuler said:
But why I should have bound state?
We're not dealing with bound states here.

Did you study the derivation for ##E < V_0##? In that case, for ##x > 0##, the general solution is something like $$\psi_2(x) = Ce^{\kappa x} + De^{-\kappa x}$$ Here we must set ##C=0## so that ##\psi_2(x)## doesn't "blow up" as ##x \rightarrow +\infty##.

Likes LagrangeEuler
PeterDonis said:
If a wave function does not go to zero at ##- \infty## or ##\infty##, is it valid?
For a scattering state it may be valid with some qualifications. The most simple case is the free particle, i.e., ##\hat{H}=\hat{p^2}/(2m)##. The energy-eigensolutions are the plane waves ##u_p(x)=N_p \exp(\mathrm{i} p x)## with eigenvalues ##E(p)=p^2/(2m)## (using natural units with ##\hbar=1##).

These are not Hilbert-space vectors though since ##|u_p|^2## is not integrable over ##x \in \mathbb{R}##, but they are generalized functions (distributions) living the in the dual of the domain of the position and momentum operators. They are "normalizable to a ##\delta## distribution", i.e.,
$$\int_{\mathbb{R}} \mathrm{d} x u_{p'}^*(x) u_{p}(x)=2 \pi |N_p|^2 \delta(p-p').$$
The usual choice for the normalization constants thus is ##N_p=1/\sqrt{2 \pi}##.

This should hold true for all scattering states in problems with a potential too. Now think again about what this implies for your constant ##C##!

For a thorough discussion of how to treat the normalization of scattering states (particularly also in this one-dimensional case) look in the textbook by Messiah, who does this very carefully.

Likes dextercioby

1. What is a potential step at a barrier in quantum mechanics?

A potential step at a barrier in quantum mechanics is a phenomenon that occurs when a particle encounters a sudden change in potential energy as it moves through a barrier. This can happen in various systems, such as a particle moving through a semiconductor material or a particle approaching a potential barrier in a quantum well.

2. How does a potential step affect the behavior of a particle?

A potential step can cause the particle to behave in a variety of ways, depending on the energy and characteristics of the particle. In some cases, the particle may be completely reflected by the barrier, while in others it may partially penetrate the barrier and experience a change in energy. This behavior is described by the laws of quantum mechanics.

3. What factors influence the behavior of a particle at a potential step?

The behavior of a particle at a potential step is influenced by several factors, including the energy of the particle, the height and width of the barrier, and the mass of the particle. Additionally, the shape and characteristics of the potential barrier itself can also play a role in determining the behavior of the particle.

4. How is the behavior of a particle at a potential step calculated?

The behavior of a particle at a potential step is calculated using the principles of quantum mechanics, specifically the Schrödinger equation. This equation takes into account the energy of the particle, the shape and characteristics of the potential barrier, and other relevant factors to determine the probability of the particle being reflected or transmitted through the barrier.

5. What applications does the study of potential steps at barriers have?

The study of potential steps at barriers has various applications in fields such as condensed matter physics, semiconductor devices, and quantum computing. Understanding the behavior of particles at potential steps can also help in the development of new materials and technologies for various industries.