Kleppner/Kolenkow: Conical Pendulum & Angle with Vertical

In summary, the problem involves a mass hanging from a string of length l attached to a rotating rod with constant angular frequency ω. The mass moves with a steady speed in a circular path of constant radius. The goal is to find the angle α, which is the angle the string makes with the vertical. Using the equations for the only two forces acting on the mass (tension of the string and weight of the mass), we can solve for α. However, there is a case where we overlook a second solution, namely when sin α = 0 and T = W. This leads to the conclusion that for ω ≤ √(g/l), the only acceptable solution is α = 0 and cos α = 1,
Cosmophile

Homework Statement

Mass ##M## hangs from a string of length ##l## which is attached to a rod rotating at constant angular frequency ##\omega##. The mass moves with a steady speed in a circular path of constant radius. Find ##\alpha##, the angle the string makes with the vertical.

Homework Equations

There are only two forces acting on the mass:

1) ##T##, the tension of the string.
2) ##W##, the weight of the mass.

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
For starters, I find [tex]\Sigma F_y = T\cos\alpha - W = 0 \qquad. (1) [/tex] Since the radius is constant, ##a_r = \ddot {r} - r \dot {\theta}^2## simplifies to ##-r\dot {\theta}^2 = -r\omega ^2##.

The component of ##T## in the direction of the radius is
[tex] T\sin\alpha = mr \omega ^2. \qquad (2) [/tex] From here, I substitute ##r = l \sin\theta## and get [tex] T\sin\alpha = Ml \omega^2 \sin\alpha \qquad (3) [/tex]
[tex] T = Ml \omega^2 \qquad \qquad (4) [/tex]

Substituting ##(4)## into ##(1)## we get ##Ml\omega^2 \cos\alpha = W##. Since ##W = Mg##, we have [tex] \cos \alpha = \frac {g}{\omega^2l} [/tex].

This makes physical sense if ##\omega > \sqrt{\frac {g}{l}}##. As ##\omega \rightarrow \infty##, ##\cos \alpha \rightarrow 0## and ##\alpha \rightarrow \pi /2##. That being said, when ##\omega## is small, the result breaks down, as it implies ##\cos \alpha \rightarrow \infty##.

I realize that the issue is when I go from ##(3)## to ##(4)##, as I divide by ##\sin\alpha##, but that isn't allowed when ##\omega = \sqrt{\frac {g}{l}}##, as this gives ##\cos \alpha = 1 \implies \sin \alpha = 0##.

K&K explain that in doing the problem, we overlooked a second solution, namely, ##\sin \alpha = 0, T = W##. They then say:

"Physically, for ##\omega \leq \sqrt {g/l}##, the only acceptable solution is ##\alpha = 0, \cos\alpha = 1##. For ##\omega > \sqrt{g/l}##, there are two solutions: [tex] \cos \alpha = 1 [/tex] [tex] \cos\alpha = \sqrt{\frac{g}{\omega^2 l}} [/tex]

I'm having a difficult time understanding why this is the case. Is there no way to come up with one solution which suffices on its own?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Cosmophile said:

Homework Statement

Mass ##M## hangs from a string of length ##l## which is attached to a rod rotating at constant angular frequency ##\omega##. The mass moves with a steady speed in a circular path of constant radius. Find ##\alpha##, the angle the string makes with the vertical.

Homework Equations

There are only two forces acting on the mass:

1) ##T##, the tension of the string.
2) ##W##, the weight of the mass.

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
For starters, I find [tex]\Sigma F_y = T\sin\alpha - W = 0 \qquad. (1) [/tex] Since the radius is constant, ##a_r = \ddot {r} - r \dot {\theta}^2## simplifies to ##-r\dot {\theta}^2 = -r\omega ^2##.

The component of ##T## in the direction of the radius is
[tex] T\sin\alpha = mr \omega ^2. \qquad (2) [/tex] From here, I substitute ##r = l \sin\theta## and get [tex] T\sin\alpha = Ml \omega^2 \sin\alpha \qquad (3) [/tex]
[tex] T = Ml \omega^2 \qquad \qquad (4) [/tex]

Substituting ##(4)## into ##(1)## we get ##Ml\omega^2 \cos\alpha = W##. Since ##W = Mg##, we have [tex] \cos \alpha = \frac {g}{\omega^2l} [/tex].

This makes physical sense if ##\omega > \sqrt{\frac {g}{l}}##. As ##\omega \rightarrow \infty##, ##\cos \alpha \rightarrow 0## and ##\alpha \rightarrow \pi /2##. That being said, when ##\omega## is small, the result breaks down, as it implies ##\cos \alpha \rightarrow \infty##.

I realize that the issue is when I go from ##(3)## to ##(4)##, as I divide by ##\sin\alpha##, but that isn't allowed when ##\omega = \sqrt{\frac {g}{l}}##, as this gives ##\cos \alpha = 1 \implies \sin \alpha = 0##.

K&K explain that in doing the problem, we overlooked a second solution, namely, ##\sin \alpha = 0, T = W##. They then say:

"Physically, for ##\omega \leq \sqrt {g/l}##, the only acceptable solution is ##\alpha = 0, \cos\alpha = 1##. For ##\omega > \sqrt{g/l}##, there are two solutions: [tex] \cos \alpha = 1 [/tex] [tex] \cos\alpha = \sqrt{\frac{g}{\omega^2 l}} [/tex]

I'm having a difficult time understanding why this is the case. Is there no way to come up with one solution which suffices on its own?
Typo in your first equation, you meant cos, not sin.
It took me a while to deduce the rod is vertical. But that means the rotation of the rod is irrelevant, it might as well be hanging from a fixed point.
But to answer your question, yes it can be written as a single solution, by not cancelling the sin: ##\sin(\alpha)\cos(\alpha)=\sin(\alpha)\sqrt{\frac g{\omega^2l}}##, but that does not alter the conclusion that there are two solutions for ##\alpha## in one range of ##\omega## and only one solution in another.

haruspex said:
Typo in your first equation, you meant cos, not sin.
It took me a while to deduce the rod is vertical. But that means the rotation of the rod is irrelevant, it might as well be hanging from a fixed point.
But to answer your question, yes it can be written as a single solution, by not cancelling the sin: ##\sin(\alpha)\cos(\alpha)=\sin(\alpha)\sqrt{\frac g{\omega^2l}}##, but that does not alter the conclusion that there are two solutions for ##\alpha## in one range of ##\omega## and only one solution in another.

Fixed the typo, thanks! How did you deduce the rod is vertical?

Cosmophile said:
Fixed the typo, thanks! How did you deduce the rod is vertical?
From this:
Cosmophile said:
substitute ##r = l \sin\alpha##
Ok, it could be that the rod is horizontal and the string is attached at its axis of rotation, but either way there is no contribution to the radius from the rod length. Thus, simply hanging vertically is always a solution.

1. What is a conical pendulum?

A conical pendulum is a type of pendulum in which the bob or weight is not swinging in a straight line, but instead follows a circular path or cone. It is typically suspended from a fixed point and swings in a horizontal circle.

2. How does a conical pendulum work?

A conical pendulum works by the tension force in the string or wire keeping the bob moving in a circular path. This is due to the fact that the bob is constantly changing direction due to gravity, causing it to accelerate towards the center of the circle, creating a centripetal force.

3. What factors affect the period of a conical pendulum?

The period of a conical pendulum is affected by the length of the string, the mass of the bob, the angle at which the pendulum is released, and the acceleration due to gravity. These factors can be represented in the equation T = 2π√(L/g), where T is the period, L is the length of the string, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

4. How is the angle with the vertical calculated in a conical pendulum?

The angle with the vertical in a conical pendulum can be calculated using the equation tan(θ) = (v^2/gR), where θ is the angle with the vertical, v is the velocity of the bob, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and R is the radius of the circle.

5. Why is the angle with the vertical important in a conical pendulum?

The angle with the vertical is important in a conical pendulum because it directly affects the tension in the string and therefore, the period of the pendulum. It also allows us to calculate the velocity of the bob and understand the motion of the pendulum in relation to the forces acting on it.