Kleppner Power and Kinetic Energy Conceptual Questions

In summary, the conversation discusses two problems related to sand and a coil of rope. The first problem involves finding the power needed to drive a conveyor belt and comparing it to the rate of change of kinetic energy of the sand. The second problem involves finding the force exerted on the end of a rope and comparing the power delivered to the rope with the rate of change of its total mechanical energy. It is noted that the power may be larger than the net change in energy due to non-elastic collisions between the belt and sand/rope.
RubinLicht

Homework Statement

This is actually two problems, both of which i have already successfully solved, I just have conceptual questions about the results.

5.18 Sand and conveyor belt Sand runs from a hopper at constant rate dm/dt onto a horizontal conveyor belt driven at constant speed V by a motor.
(a) Find the power needed to drive the belt.
(b) Compare the answer to (a) with the rate of change of kinetic energy of the sand. Can you account for the difference?
Answer: P = 2 dK/dt oh wow this color is nice on the eyes

5.19 Coil of rope A uniform rope of mass density λ per unit length is coiled on a smooth horizontal table. One end is pulled straight up with constant speed v0, as shown.
(a) Find the force exerted on the end of the rope as a function of height y.
(b) Compare the power delivered to the rope with the rate of change of the rope’s total mechanical energy.
Answer: P= dE/dt + 1/2λVo3
dE/dt = 1/2λVo3
+ygvo

Homework Equations

P=Fv
F=dP/dt

The Attempt at a Solution

What i can think of is that the power is larger than the net change in energy because non elastic collisions occur between the belt and sand (and rope "links", if you think about a rope as a chain of infinitesimal rings) during the jerky period of acceleration. Please correct me if I am wrong. I encountered the conveyor belt problem as an example in Resnick and Halliday, but they did not explain either. Although i have a hazy idea of what's going on, I would very much appreciate it if someone cleared up the confusion I've been feeling about these problems. Thank you. (collisions are in the next chapter, so I haven't formally covered them yet)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
RubinLicht said:
5.18 Sand and conveyor belt Sand runs from a hopper at constant rate dm/dt onto a horizontal conveyor belt driven at constant speed V by a motor.
(a) Find the power needed to drive the belt.
(b) Compare the answer to (a) with the rate of change of kinetic energy of the sand. Can you account for the difference?
Answer: P = 1/2 dK/dt
This says that the power is less than the rate of change of K. Is that correct?
oh wow this color is nice on the eyes
:cool:

The Attempt at a Solution

What i can think of is that the power is larger than the net change in energy because non elastic collisions occur between the belt and sand (and rope "links", if you think about a rope as a chain of infinitesimal rings) during the jerky period of acceleration.

Yes, that's exactly right. That's good insight for not having covered collisions yet! The power is the rate at which total energy of the system changes. But the total energy includes more than just mechanical forms of energy.

Woops typo, thanks for the reply.

RubinLicht said:
Woops typo
Yes, I knew that. I was just "ribbing" you a little.

TSny said:
Yes, I knew that. I was just "ribbing" you a little.
Heh, thanks for the help.

1. What is the Kleppner question on Power?

The Kleppner question on Power is a thought experiment proposed by physicist Daniel Kleppner to help understand the concept of power. It asks what would happen if a person were able to convert their entire mass into energy and use it to power a lightbulb. This question highlights the relationship between mass and energy, as well as the immense amount of energy contained within even a small amount of mass.

2. How does the Kleppner question on Power relate to Einstein's famous equation, E=mc²?

The Kleppner question on Power is directly related to Einstein's famous equation, E=mc², which states that energy (E) is equal to the mass (m) multiplied by the speed of light squared (c²). In the thought experiment, the person's mass is converted into energy, demonstrating the potential for immense amounts of energy to be released from a small amount of mass.

3. What does the Kleppner question on Power teach us about the concept of power?

The Kleppner question on Power teaches us that power is not just about the amount of energy being produced, but also about the rate at which that energy is being produced. In the thought experiment, the person's entire mass is converted into energy, but if it is not produced quickly enough, it will not be able to power a lightbulb. This highlights the importance of both energy and time in the concept of power.

4. What are some real-life applications of the Kleppner question on Power?

The Kleppner question on Power has real-life applications in nuclear energy and nuclear weapons. Nuclear reactions involve converting a small amount of mass into a large amount of energy, following the principles outlined in the Kleppner question. Nuclear power plants use this energy to generate electricity, while nuclear weapons use it to create destructive explosions.

5. How can the Kleppner question on Power help us understand the potential of renewable energy sources?

The Kleppner question on Power can help us understand the potential of renewable energy sources by showing us the vast amount of energy that can be harnessed from even a small amount of mass. It can also help us understand the importance of generating this energy quickly, as renewable sources such as solar and wind power may not produce energy at a consistent rate. By understanding the concept of power outlined in the Kleppner question, we can better explore and utilize renewable energy sources.