Knudsen Flow: High School Student Q&A

In summary: It results from the situation that the mean free path becomes equal or smaller than the channel’s size. This means that the gas molecules are more likely to collide with the walls of the container than with each other. This can be achieved by reducing the pressure or increasing the channel size. However, simply digging a small hole in a board will not create Knudsen flow as the channel size would not be large enough. The difference between viscous flow, Knudsen flow, and molecular flow lies in the Knudsen number, which is the mean free path divided by the diameter of the flow channel. When this number becomes higher, the flow transitions into molecular flow and enters ultra vacuum conditions. Knudsen flow is often used in applications such as
Chain Shawn
I am a high school student trying to carry out an experiment about fluid. Thus I am studying Knudsen flow and come up with following questions.

1. How can a Knudsen flow occurs?
2. Can I simply dig a small hole on a board and make Knudsen flow?
3. What the difference between viscous flow, Knudsen flow and moduleur flow?
4. How can such flow sieve different molecules?

( I’m not good at English. Sorry for the poor structure of this thread.😥

Physics news on Phys.org
jedishrfu said:
What have you found so far on Knudsen flow?
It results from the situation that the mean free path becomes equal or smaller than the channel’s size. And if Knudsen number(mean free path divided by diameter of flow channel) becomes higher, it will turn to molecular flow and enter ultra vacuum.

The cause and effect confuse me.I couldn’t get the causal relationship between channel’s size and air pressure. Does the Knudsen flow means that pipes size can generate ultra vacuum condition?

And I see some applications using pores on membrane to sieve different molecules, but I’m not sure whether the thickness or radius of the pore refers to the channel’s size.

In Knudsen flow, the fluid behavior can no longer be modeled as a viscous continuum, since the laws of viscous flow are based on significant numbers of molecular collisions. Knudsen flow occurs when the pressure of the gas is made very low.

What is Knudsen Flow?

Knudsen Flow is a type of gas flow that occurs at low pressures and short mean free paths, typically in the range of 1 to 1000 micrometers. It is characterized by the gas molecules moving independently and colliding with the walls of the container more frequently than with each other.

What causes Knudsen Flow?

Knudsen Flow is caused by a pressure gradient within a gas, where the gas molecules move from an area of high pressure to an area of low pressure. This can occur in a variety of situations, such as in microfluidic devices or in vacuum systems.

How is Knudsen Flow different from other types of gas flow?

Knudsen Flow is different from other types of gas flow, such as viscous flow or molecular flow, because it occurs at a different pressure and length scale. In Knudsen Flow, the mean free path of the gas molecules is comparable to the size of the container, whereas in other types of flow, the mean free path is much smaller.

What are some applications of Knudsen Flow?

Knudsen Flow has many applications in various fields, including microfluidics, vacuum technology, and gas separation processes. It is also used in the measurement of gas viscosity and in the development of new materials for gas sensors and filters.

How is Knudsen Flow related to the Knudsen number?

The Knudsen number is a dimensionless parameter used to characterize the type of gas flow occurring in a system. Knudsen Flow occurs at Knudsen numbers greater than 0.01, while other types of flow occur at lower Knudsen numbers. This number is calculated using the mean free path of the gas molecules and the characteristic length of the system.