Lab experiment on moment of inertia dynamic

In summary: M is the mass of the hanging mass.The angular velocity when the hanging mass hit the floor, I attached a better sketchSorry, I made a mistake in characterising the differences between the two equations. I missed a leading "1/".The differences are:- the constant 0.0797 I mentioned (M)- col J is the inverse of col KThat is, col J is M/Icyl, where M is the mass of the hanging mass.
tj Cho
experiment set up.png

Homework Statement

That is the set up for experiment, and I attached the data I found in the lab.
The lab given me the equation to find the moment of inertia of the cylinder

Homework Equations

Icyl = (2hgM_cylinder) * (1/(W_withcylinder)^2 - 1/(W_nocylinder)^2)
The height is 0.9m

The Attempt at a Solution

Me and my lab partner work separately and then we compare the Icyl value, in the attached file column J is his value, column K is my value and the two graph. I'm not sure which one is right, please explain to me what we did wrong?
And my graph (I cyl) doesn't look right too, please explain. Thank you very much

Attachments

• lab10-Rotational Dynamics.xlsx
    14.6 KB · Views: 228
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your diagram shows two masses and a rod. Where does the cylinder come in?
What is the purpose of the lab? What is the procedure?
Are the distances in your diagram to the centres of the two masses? It looks like they're to the outside edges, but the mass widths are not given.
tj Cho said:
Icyl = (2hgM_cylinder) * (1/(W_withcylinder)^2 - 1/(W_nocylinder))
Comparing with the column K formula, you've left out a power of 2 in there.
The column J formula is different from K's in two ways:
- there's an extra constant factor 0.0797 in col K
- col J has a division instead of a multiplication: Icyl = (2hgM_cylinder) / (1/(W_withcylinder)^2 - 1/(W_nocylinder)^2)

Last edited:
Likes tj Cho
haruspex said:
Your diagram shows two masses and a rod. Where does the cylinder come in?
What is the purpose of the lab? What is the procedure?
Are the distances in your diagram to the centres of the two masses? It looks like they're to the outside edges, but the mass sizes are not given.
I_Cyl is I_sys - I_rod.
I think by the moment of inertia of the cylinder they mean the moment of inertia of the two masses.
Can you please look at the excel sheet at column J that is my partner data, I don't know where he got that equation to calculate the I_cyl

tj Cho said:
I_Cyl is I_sys - I_rod.
I think by the moment of inertia of the cylinder they mean the moment of inertia of the two masses.
Can you please look at the excel sheet at column J that is my partner data, I don't know where he got that equation to calculate the I_cyl
You might have posted that before I updated my post.
You'll need to explain all the variables in the equation.
Where did you get the equation from ?

Likes tj Cho
This equation is given in the lab manual to find I_cyl (I mis-typed in the post sorry)
Icyl = (2hgM_cylinder) * (1/(W_withcylinder)^2 - 1/(W_nocylinder)^2)
where h is the height = 0.9 m (height from hanging mass to the floor)
M_cylinder mass of the cylinders = 0.0757 kg
W_withcylinder and W_nocylinder recorded by rotary sensor
I don't understand why the moment of inertia get smaller when the mass get bigger (the hanging mass act as a torque to make the rod rotating)
My partner (column J) has an entirely different number, and I have no idea where he got that equation from

Last edited:
tj Cho said:
W_withcylinder and W_nocylinder recorded by rotary sensor
Ok, but what are they? At the least, what sort of entity: distances, times, speeds..?

haruspex said:
Ok, but what are they? At the least, what sort of entity: distances, times, speeds..?
The Angular velocity when the hanging mass hit the floor, I attached a better sketch

Attachments

• experiment set up.png
    experiment set up.png
    1.7 KB · Views: 436
Sorry, I made a mistake in characterising the differences between the two equations. I missed a leading "1/".
The differences are:
- the constant 0.0797 I mentioned (M)
- col J is the inverse of col K
That is, col J is M/Icyl

Likes tj Cho

Related to Lab experiment on moment of inertia dynamic

1. What is moment of inertia in a lab experiment?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion. In a lab experiment, it is often calculated by measuring the mass and distance from the axis of rotation of an object and using the formula I = mr².

2. What is the purpose of a lab experiment on moment of inertia?

The purpose of a lab experiment on moment of inertia is to understand the concept and its significance in rotational motion. It also allows for the calculation and comparison of moment of inertia values for different objects.

3. How is moment of inertia measured in a lab experiment?

Moment of inertia can be measured in a lab experiment by using various methods such as a pendulum, torsion pendulum, or rotational motion sensor. These methods involve measuring the object's mass and distance from the axis of rotation and using the appropriate formula to calculate the moment of inertia.

4. What factors affect moment of inertia in a lab experiment?

The moment of inertia of an object can be affected by its mass, shape, and distribution of mass. In a lab experiment, changing any of these factors can impact the measured moment of inertia value.

5. How can moment of inertia be used in real-life applications?

Moment of inertia has various real-life applications, including designing and analyzing rotational systems such as wheels, gears, and flywheels. It is also used in sports equipment, such as a tennis racket or golf club, to optimize performance. In engineering, moment of inertia is crucial in designing structures and machines that can withstand rotational motion.