Moment of inertia of a meter stick

In summary: L is its length. Then use the following equation to calculate the moment of inertia about an arbitrary point:I = mr^2
Pablo

Homework Statement

A meter stick has a mass of 0.2kg. A small hole is bored in it at the 10cm mark so the meter stick can be hung from a horizontal nail. The moment of inertia of the meter stick around an axis at the 10cm mark is

Homework Equations

m = 0.2kg
I = mr^2

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
So I know I am trying to find the moment of inertia of a meter stick 0.1m from one of its edges. My first thought was to use the parallel axis theorem and think of the meter stick as a cylinder. However, I don't think it is a cylinder. I don't know any equation for a meter stick shape, so I am not sure how to get started.

Physics news on Phys.org
You might do best to start with the definition of mass moment of inertia in terms of an integral. The integration will run from -0.1 m to 0.9 m.

How could I use the integral of r^2 dm if I don't know the length of the rod? I can't find λ

Pablo said:
My first thought was to use the parallel axis theorem and think of the meter stick as a cylinder. However, I don't think it is a cylinder. I don't know any equation for a meter stick shape, so I am not sure how to get started.
you have no information about the thickness of the stick, so assume that is negligible.

haruspex said:
you have no information about the thickness of the stick, so assume that is negligible.
Would I use the definition of moment of inertia using calculus or is there another way. I am very confused, and I am not sure how to get started.

Pablo said:
How could I use the integral of r^2 dm if I don't know the length of the rod? I can't find λ
Well, it is a meter stick... :wink:

gneill said:
Well, it is a meter stick... :wink:

Ok so given that the length is 1 meter, I know λ = 0.2 / 1 = 0.2. I also know the moment of inertia is the integral of x^2 dm from -0.01 to 0.09, equivalent to λ * [ (0.09^3 / 3) - (-0.01^3 / 3)] = 0.000049. This answer is still not correct.

EDIT:
My bounds were incorrect. I got 0.48, thanks!

Check your limit values. Is 0.01 m really 10 cm?

Check your arithmetic, and then consider the possibility that the answers offered to you may not include the correct answer.

You might start with the moment of inertia of a rod about its center of mass = m L^2 /12

1. What is the moment of inertia of a meter stick?

The moment of inertia of a meter stick is a measure of its resistance to rotational motion. It is a physical property that depends on the distribution of mass along the length of the meter stick.

2. How is the moment of inertia of a meter stick calculated?

The moment of inertia of a meter stick can be calculated using the formula I = (1/12) * m * L^2, where m is the mass of the meter stick and L is the length of the meter stick.

3. What factors affect the moment of inertia of a meter stick?

The moment of inertia of a meter stick is affected by the mass and length of the stick, as well as the location of the axis of rotation. It also depends on the distribution of mass along the length of the stick, with more mass located farther from the axis of rotation resulting in a higher moment of inertia.

4. How is the moment of inertia of a meter stick different from its mass?

The moment of inertia and mass of a meter stick are two different physical properties. Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while moment of inertia is a measure of its resistance to rotational motion. They are related, but not directly proportional.

5. Why is the moment of inertia of a meter stick important?

The moment of inertia of a meter stick is important in understanding its behavior in rotational motion. It is also a key factor in calculating the torque, or rotational force, required to change the angular velocity of the meter stick.