Lab frame and accelerator frame

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of luminosity in different frames, specifically the boost frame and lab frame. The speaker expresses confusion about why the calculation is done in the boost frame instead of the easier lab frame, and also asks for clarification on terms such as lab frame, accelerator frame, and boost frame. The other person explains the reasoning behind using the boost frame on slide 10 and also clarifies the meaning of the azimuthal coordinate on slide 9. They also refer to the page 7 where the term "thankss" is defined.
Ruihu Zhu
TL;DR Summary
Can someone explain lab frame ,accelerator frame and boost frame to me?
In the file I present below,it shows a way to calculate luminosity in boost frame when crossing angle exists.I can't understand why luminosity calculation is done in boost frame instead of lab frame where calculations are much easier.I also have difficulty understanding lab frame,accelerator frame and boost frame.Can someone take a glance at the file and help me with it?

Attachments

• JLEIC_Luminosity_2.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 262
Physics news on Phys.org
They explain why on slide 10.

Vanadium 50 said:
They explain why on slide 10.
In slide 9,it shows accelerator coordinate is (x,y,z,px,py,pz;h,s) where s is azimuthal coordinate.I can't understand azimuthal coordinate s in geometry.Can you explain?Thanks

s is defined on page 7.

You're welcome.

1. What is the difference between the lab frame and the accelerator frame?

The lab frame is a reference frame that is stationary and used to describe the motion of particles in a laboratory setting. The accelerator frame, on the other hand, is a reference frame that is moving at high speeds and is used to describe the motion of particles in an accelerator.

2. How do the lab frame and accelerator frame relate to each other?

The lab frame and accelerator frame are related by the principle of relativity, which states that the laws of physics are the same in all inertial reference frames. This means that the observations made in the lab frame will be consistent with those made in the accelerator frame, as long as the relative velocities between the two frames are constant.

3. Why is it important to consider both the lab frame and accelerator frame in experiments?

It is important to consider both frames because particles in an accelerator are moving at high speeds and may exhibit different behaviors than when they are at rest in the lab frame. By understanding the motion of particles in both frames, scientists can accurately interpret experimental results and make meaningful conclusions.

4. How does time dilation affect measurements in the lab frame and accelerator frame?

Time dilation, a consequence of special relativity, causes time to appear to pass slower for objects moving at high speeds. This means that measurements made in the accelerator frame may appear to take longer in the lab frame. Scientists must account for this when analyzing data from experiments in order to accurately determine the behavior of particles.

5. Are there any other frames of reference that are important in particle physics?

Yes, there are other frames of reference that are important in particle physics, such as the center-of-mass frame and the rest frame. The center-of-mass frame is the frame in which the total momentum of a system is zero, and is often used in particle collisions. The rest frame is the frame in which a particle is at rest, and is used to describe the properties of a particle without any external influences.