Lab frame symmetric/asymmetric energies

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a particle collider to generate the Y(4S) resonance, which then decays into B mesons. The lab frame and rest frame of the e^\pm system are equivalent, but if the energies of the e^\pm are not equal, the Y(4S) will have some velocity relative to the lab frame. The question is whether the result of the symmetric energies can be boosted to the new lab frame. The experts explain that the B mesons will have the same velocity in both frames, and for fully reconstructed decays, the boost of the individual B mesons can be measured.
ChrisVer
Gold Member
I have one question which I need to verify as a thought.
Suppose I have a particle collider for symmetric energies [itex]e^\pm[/itex], that give as a result the [itex]Y(4S)[/itex] resonance which later decays in [itex]B[/itex] mesons. Then the lab-frame is equivalent to the rest frame of the [itex]e^\pm[/itex] system and the [itex]Y(4S)[/itex] is at rest in the lab. In that case I was able to determine the momentum [itex] |p|= \sqrt{\frac{m_Y^2-4m_B^2}{4}}[/itex] and velocities [itex]u=\frac{p}{E}[/itex] of the [itex]B[/itex]-mesons and derive their travel length [itex]d_{lab}=\gamma(u) u c \tau[/itex]...
If on the other hand the energies of the [itex]e^\pm[/itex] are not equal, say [itex]E_+ \ne E_-[/itex], then the [itex]Y(4S)[/itex] will not be at rest for the lab but have some velocity [itex]\beta[/itex] relative to it.
If I want to derive the length the [itex]B[/itex] mesons travel before decaying, could I boost the result of the symmetric energies ([itex]\beta=0[/itex]) to the new lab frame ([itex]\beta \ne 0[/itex]) to get the [itex]B[/itex]-mesons "new" speed (boost the [itex]d_{lab}[/itex] by [itex]\beta[/itex])?
I am not sure about the directions however...since the B meson result can have any kind of velocity orentation at the first case -with only constraint to be in P-wave - (Y(4S) rest frame= lab frame) , while at the second (Y(4S) boosted relative to the lab) the Y(4S) speed is boosted along the beam's direction alone.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sure.
The B mesons are nearly at rest in the Y(4S) frame, so they will move with the same velocity (this includes the direction!) in the lab frame.

mfb said:
Sure.
mfb said:
The B mesons are nearly at rest in the Y(4S) frame, so they will move with the same velocity (this includes the direction!) in the lab frame.

when the Y(4S) was at rest they had some velocity [itex]u[/itex]... that velocity would be [itex]u=\sqrt{u_x^2+u_y^2+u_z^2}[/itex], with [itex]u_i[/itex] any number that does not destroy the kinematics.
Let's say that the beam strikes along the [itex]z[/itex]-axis. Then the velocity of the Y(4S) in our frame would be [itex]\beta_z[/itex] alone.
So [itex]u[/itex] should be boosted only along the z-component?

Or do you mean that [itex]u\approx 0[/itex] (as a number just for completion is u~0.06) and their velocity would be [itex]\beta_Y[/itex] instead?

To a good approximation, yes. ##\beta_Y \approx 0.4## for Belle, a bit more for BaBar.

For fully reconstructed decays (of at least one B meson), you can measure the boost of the individual B mesons.

Likes ChrisVer

What is a lab frame?

A lab frame refers to the specific coordinate system used in a laboratory setting to measure the positions and movements of objects. It is typically a three-dimensional Cartesian coordinate system with a fixed origin and orientation.

What is symmetric energy?

Symmetric energy refers to the energy of a system or object that is evenly distributed or balanced. In other words, the energy is equally distributed among all parts of the system or object.

What is asymmetric energy?

Asymmetric energy refers to the energy of a system or object that is unevenly distributed or unbalanced. This means that some parts of the system or object have more energy than others.

How do lab frame symmetric/asymmetric energies affect experiments?

The distribution of energy in a system or object can impact the outcome of experiments. In symmetric energy systems, any changes or reactions will be evenly distributed, while in asymmetric energy systems, changes or reactions may occur more significantly in certain areas.

What factors can lead to asymmetric energies in a lab frame?

Asymmetric energies can be caused by a variety of factors such as external forces, uneven heating or cooling, or imbalances in the system's components. It is important for scientists to consider and account for these factors in their experiments to ensure accurate results.