How Does Air Resistance Affect the Acceleration of Falling Objects?

In summary: The x/t graph was a straight line with negative slope(since the filter was released from a higher point) and the v/t graph was also about a straight line with a negative slope from what I can remember when we used the pasco motion detectorJust think inspecting the graph of v vs t, can you conclude that the motion is with zero acceleration, constant non-zero acceleration, or varying acceleration. Then think of modelling. There is no question of remebering just inspect the graph and think about it.Just think inspecting the graph of v vs t, can you conclude that the motion is with zero acceleration, constant non-zero acceleration, or varying acceleration. Then think of modelling. There is no
nso09
I apologize if my thought process is unrefined. I didn't really learn and remember much from high school physics that benefits me right now in college physics.

Until this point we covered Newton's three laws of motion. And instead of a cotton ball, we used a coffee filter.

"Our reasoning is this: Each air molecule, on impact, imparts a small force to a falling object. Using the traditional force formula F = ma (Newton, 1687), we see that each collision effectively reduces the gravitational acceleration of any object falling through air by an amount that is inversely proportional to that object’s mass (i.e., a = F ⁄ m ). Thus the light cotton ball is slowed more than a comparably sized (and heavier) rock."

Homework Statement

Since coffee filters fall slower than the rock since it is lighter, then we should modify the formula for distance s fallen in time 5. Instead of s=1/2gt^2,
the correct model for falling cotton should be s=1/2kt^2 where k is an acceleration smaller than g.
Confirm or deny this.
(we suggest that the effect of air resistance is greater on the coffee filter because it is lighter)
You have a coffe filter, meter stick, stopwatch, motion sensor, and a x/t and v/t graph.

Homework Equations

F=ma, ay=1/2at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

We did this lab today but my partners and I were stumped and likely performed an incomplete or probably unrelated experiment.

We initially thought we should experiment on the effect of surface area on how fast the filter will fall on the ground. But after talking with my other two partners, we just decided to experiment on the effect of increased mass on the rate of falling.
What we did was we used the motion sensor to record the position and velocity over time of initially one coffee filter on a fixed height. Then we added a coffee filter on the first filter to increase the mass. We did this one more time so the last trial was recording the x/t and v/t of 3 coffee filters layered on one another.
What we found was the v/t got more leveled and less steep. From this, we figured that as we increased the mass of an object, it was more able to overcome the force of air resistance as it falls on the ground so "k" approached closer to "g" instead of "k" being an acceleration smaller than "g."
I feel as if that our experiment didn't properly address the fact that regardless of mass, whether the coffee filter is lighter, it should still fall at the same time as a rock.
What did we miss and how could we have done this experiment better to address the fact that even though the coffee filter was lighter, s=1/2gt^2 should still apply and that g SHOULD NOT be changed to "k" which is a smaller acceleration than g?

Physics news on Phys.org
The problem is not looking at the result and finding different k. The problem is showing that s=kt^2/2 is not a good description. I suggest you look at your x/t graph, is it a parabola? The same for your v/t graph, is it a linearly increasing function?

Orodruin said:
The problem is not looking at the result and finding different k. The problem is showing that s=kt^2/2 is not a good description. I suggest you look at your x/t graph, is it a parabola? The same for your v/t graph, is it a linearly increasing function?
The x/t graph was a straight line with negative slope(since the filter was released from a higher point) and the v/t graph was also about a straight line with a negative slope from what I can remember when we used the pasco motion detector

Just think inspecting the graph of v vs t, can you conclude that the motion is with zero acceleration, constant non-zero acceleration, or varying acceleration. Then think of modelling. There is no question of remebering just inspect the graph and think about it.

Let'sthink said:
Just think inspecting the graph of v vs t, can you conclude that the motion is with zero acceleration, constant non-zero acceleration, or varying acceleration. Then think of modelling. There is no question of remebering just inspect the graph and think about it.
each varying graph had a certain acceleration but the acceleration in each particular graph was non-zero

Good but is it constant or varying can you distinguish between average acceleration and instantaneous acceleration from v-t graph

If you cannot easily upload the results, it might help us commentators if you could give a bit more detail about them. I assume the motion sensor gives 'instantaneous' velocities. Can you post the times, speeds and positions of just the first three measurements for the single paper? If that does not include a time zero, are you adding a time zero datapoint to your graph?

Let'sthink said:
Good but is it constant or varying can you distinguish between average acceleration and instantaneous acceleration from v-t graph
would average acceleration be the final velocity-initial velocity divided by tfinal-tinitial? I'm not sure how to know instantaneous acceleration form a v-t graph though by just looking at it

haruspex said:
If you cannot easily upload the results, it might help us commentators if you could give a bit more detail about them. I assume the motion sensor gives 'instantaneous' velocities. Can you post the times, speeds and positions of just the first three measurements for the single paper? If that does not include a time zero, are you adding a time zero datapoint to your graph?
We turned in our graphs to our TA and didn't save our data since we were so behind with our lab that we rushed. :( I'm so sorry

nso09 said:
would average acceleration be the final velocity-initial velocity divided by tfinal-tinitial? I'm not sure how to know instantaneous acceleration form a v-t graph though by just looking at it
How would you estimate velocity at some instant from a distance-time graph?

Draw any graph other than straight line and just think about it it is a mathematical skill!

Let'sthink said:
Draw any graph other than straight line and just think about it it is a mathematical skill!
i know that if you have a curvy graph like y=x^2, you take the derivative of that to find the slope at that particular x.
So instantaneous acceleration would be just the slope of the velocity graph if it is approximately linear?

haruspex said:
How would you estimate velocity at some instant from a distance-time graph?

i would look at the x/t graph and estimate the slope of that which I noticed was negative

nso09 said:
i know that if you have a curvy graph like y=x^2, you take the derivative of that to find the slope at that particular x.
So instantaneous acceleration would be just the slope of the velocity graph if it is approximately linear?
Yes, the slope (even if it is not approximately linear, though that does make it harder to judge).

Likes nso09

1. What is a lab on motion and forces?

A lab on motion and forces is an experiment or activity that explores the concepts of motion and forces, typically in a physics or engineering setting. It involves measuring and analyzing the effects of different forces on objects in motion.

2. What are some examples of labs on motion and forces?

Examples of labs on motion and forces include experiments with inclined planes, pendulums, projectiles, and collisions. These labs may involve using various instruments such as force sensors, motion detectors, and accelerometers to collect data.

3. What is the purpose of a lab on motion and forces?

The purpose of a lab on motion and forces is to help students understand and apply the principles of motion and forces in real-world situations. It allows them to see how these concepts are relevant and can be used to explain and predict the behavior of objects in motion.

4. What skills can be developed through a lab on motion and forces?

A lab on motion and forces can help students develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills as they analyze data and draw conclusions. It can also improve their ability to design and carry out experiments, as well as their understanding of mathematical concepts such as vectors and equations of motion.

5. How can I incorporate labs on motion and forces into my teaching?

You can incorporate labs on motion and forces into your teaching by using hands-on activities and experiments, incorporating technology such as simulations and data collection tools, and providing opportunities for students to apply their knowledge in real-world scenarios. It is also important to provide clear instructions and guidance, as well as opportunities for reflection and discussion after the lab.