Laboratory Rocker - type of mechanical movement & related information

In summary: It explains how to calculate the link lengths and angles for a desired motion. In summary, the poster is asking for information on a mechanical movement device found on Thingiverse. They are looking for resources and equations to help them create a smaller version of the device using Matlab or Python. They are also seeking help with dimensions and angles for the device.
JohnSa
Hi all

I have a question about this device in https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2948680/files. Where can I find more information/reading material about this type of mechanical movement (for example, what is the ratio between the motor circle radius, pin location and the table bearings).

I wish to print a smaller one but I do not know where to start.

Thanks

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome, @JohnSa !

Do you need an specific output for the sample to be rocked?
Example: frequency, maximum angle, weight of sample, way to fix sample to platform, etc.
The one shown in your link has an electronic panel controlling the motor.
It seems that because of that, the frequency and duration of the oscillation can be programed.

Welcome to PF.

Start reading here; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linkage_(mechanical)

If you can post your required dimensions and the rocking angle limits, we can compute the length between the pins, and so the pin positions on the components.

Likes Lnewqban
I have a question about this laboratory rocker, mainly about the part in the image attached red ellipse. Is there a technical scheme and mathematical equations set that allows me to simulate it using Matlab/Python? By this set it will allow me to calculate a rocker in different sizes.

machLinkage.png

BTW: I am a programmer and keen 3D hobbyist and not an engineer so any help will be appreciated.

Last edited:
hsi100 said:
I have a question about this laboratory rocker, mainly about the part in the image attached red ellipse. Is there a technical scheme and mathematical equations set that allows me to simulate it using Matlab/Python? By this set it will allow me to calculate a rocker in different sizes.

View attachment 333991

BTW: I am a programmer and keen 3D hobbyist and not an engineer so any help will be appreciated.

If you have no experience I'd first check the link posted by @Baluncore at #3.
Baluncore said:
Welcome to PF.

Start reading here; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linkage_(mechanical)

If you can post your required dimensions and the rocking angle limits, we can compute the length between the pins, and so the pin positions on the components.

The section "Planar one degree-of-freedom linkages" should be especially relevant.

Likes berkeman

What is a laboratory rocker and what is its primary use?

A laboratory rocker is a device used in scientific labs to gently mix or agitate samples. It typically consists of a platform that moves in a see-saw or rocking motion. This type of movement is crucial for applications such as staining and destaining gels, hybridization procedures, cell culture, and blotting techniques, where a gentle, consistent agitation is required.

What are the different types of movements available in laboratory rockers?

Laboratory rockers generally offer two types of movements: see-saw (or rocking) and 3D gyratory. The see-saw rocking motion moves the platform up and down in a tilted manner, while the 3D gyratory motion involves a more complex movement where the platform moves in a circular manner, often both horizontally and vertically, to ensure thorough mixing.

How can the speed and tilt angle of a laboratory rocker be adjusted?

Most laboratory rockers come with adjustable settings for speed and tilt angle to accommodate different experimental needs. Speed can usually be adjusted via a dial or a digital control panel, allowing the user to set the specific number of rocks per minute. The tilt angle can often be manually adjusted by changing the position of the platform or altering the axis on which the platform rocks.

What should be considered when selecting a laboratory rocker for purchase?

When selecting a laboratory rocker, consider the size of the platform to ensure it can accommodate the volume and number of samples you plan to process. Additionally, check for adjustable speed and tilt settings to match your specific application needs. Durability, ease of cleaning, and the presence of accessories like mats or straps to secure containers should also be considered. Lastly, evaluate the noise level and energy efficiency for a comfortable and sustainable lab environment.

Are there any safety precautions to take when using a laboratory rocker?

Yes, safety is important when using a laboratory rocker. Ensure the device is placed on a stable, level surface to prevent any unwanted movement. Check that all samples are securely fastened to the platform to avoid spills or accidents. Regular maintenance checks are recommended to ensure the device functions properly. Additionally, follow any specific safety guidelines provided by the manufacturer related to the operation and handling of the device.