Lagrange Multipliers: Find Max of 8x2 + 4yz - 16z + 600

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the maximum value of a function using the Lagrange method. The equation given is T(x,y,z) = 8x2 + 4yz - 16z + 600, and the lagrange method is used to find the maximum value. The steps to solving the system of equations are discussed, and the final values obtained are x = 0, y = z = -(4/3), and λ = 2.
nhartung

Homework Statement

Assume that the surface temperature distribution of an ellipsoid shaped object given by 4x2 + y2 + 4z2 = 16 is T(x,y,z) = 8x2 + 4yz - 16z + 600.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm assuming we just have to find the maximum value of this function using the lagrange method.

I started by writing the equation like this:

8x2 + 4yz -16z + 600 - 4x2[tex]\lambda[/tex] - y2[tex]\lambda[/tex] - 4z2[tex]\lambda[/tex] + 16[tex]\lambda[/tex].

Then I found the 4 partials and set them to 0:

fx = 16x - 8x[tex]\lambda[/tex] = 0
fy = 4z - 2y[tex]\lambda[/tex] = 0
fz = 4y - 16 - 8z[tex]\lambda[/tex] = 0
f[tex]\lambda[/tex] = -4x2 - y2 - 4z2 + 16 = 0

My problem comes next when I try to solve this system of equations.
When I solve them I get:
x = 1 (or 0?)
y = z = -(4/3)
[tex]\lambda[/tex] = 2

These don't check out.

Does it looks like I'm going about this problem correctly? If so what am I doing wrong when solving the system of equations?

Physics news on Phys.org
ah nevermind it checks if I use x = 0.

1. What is the purpose of using Lagrange multipliers?

Lagrange multipliers are used to optimize a function subject to certain constraints. In other words, they help find the maximum or minimum value of a function while satisfying a set of constraints.

2. How do you use Lagrange multipliers to find the maximum value of a function?

To find the maximum value of a function using Lagrange multipliers, you first set up the Lagrangian function, which is the original function plus a multiple of the constraints. Then, you take the partial derivatives of the Lagrangian with respect to each variable and set them equal to zero. The resulting equations can be solved for the variables, which will give you the optimal values for the function.

3. Can Lagrange multipliers only be used for finding the maximum value of a function?

No, Lagrange multipliers can also be used to find the minimum value of a function. The process is the same, except you set the partial derivatives equal to zero and solve for the variables to find the minimum value.

4. What are the limitations of using Lagrange multipliers?

One limitation of using Lagrange multipliers is that they can only be used for functions with continuous and differentiable variables. Additionally, they may not always provide the global maximum or minimum value of a function, but rather a local maximum or minimum.

5. Can Lagrange multipliers be used for functions with more than two variables?

Yes, Lagrange multipliers can be used for functions with any number of variables. The process is the same, but the number of partial derivatives and equations will increase with the number of variables.