Lagrange on an Ellipse to find Max/Min Distance

In summary: Also, I suggest you subtract the Lagrangian first.In summary, the conversation is about finding the constraints of an ellipse and using Lagrange multipliers to maximize or minimize distance-squared. The conversation also discusses the simplification of the problem by substituting in terms of x and y, and using two Lagrange multipliers.
YayMathYay

Homework Statement

Bci0M.png

Homework Equations

Lagrance Multipliers.

The Attempt at a Solution

This is a pretty dumb question, and I feel a little embarassed asking but..

I know how to do the Lagrange part (I think). I'm assuming you maximize/minimize the distance, [itex]\sqrt{x^{2} + y^{2} + z^{2}}[/itex] subject to the constraints of the ellipse.

The part I'm having trouble with is finding the constraints of the ellipse - could someone help point me in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
YayMathYay said:

Homework Statement

Bci0M.png

Homework Equations

Lagrance Multipliers.

The Attempt at a Solution

This is a pretty dumb question, and I feel a little embarassed asking but..

I know how to do the Lagrange part (I think). I'm assuming you maximize/minimize the distance, [itex]\sqrt{x^{2} + y^{2} + z^{2}}[/itex] subject to the constraints of the ellipse.

The part I'm having trouble with is finding the constraints of the ellipse - could someone help point me in the right direction?

It is a lot easier to maximize or minimize distance-squared; do you see why it is OK to do that? As for the constraints, ask yourself: how can I tell if a given point (x,y,z) is on the ellipse? What are the conditions for that?

Ray Vickson said:
It is a lot easier to maximize or minimize distance-squared; do you see why it is OK to do that? As for the constraints, ask yourself: how can I tell if a given point (x,y,z) is on the ellipse? What are the conditions for that?

Ah yes, the thought of it passed my mind, but I didn't think it was viable until you pointed it out - thanks! :)

As for the constraints, I know the equations of the cylinder and the plane that create it.. but when I try to put them together (i.e., [itex]x^{2} + y^{2} = x + y + z[/itex]), it doesn't seem to give me the correct equation. I might just be having a brain fart, but I just don't know what I'm missing or doing incorrectly here :(

Just gave it an attempt, and my maximization problem became:Maximize [itex]x^{2} + y^{2} + z^{2}[/itex] subject to [itex]x + y - \sqrt{1 - x^{2}} - \sqrt{1 - y^{2}} = 0[/itex]

Is this correct? If so, do I need to substitute out z in terms of x and y? Because I have a feeling that would make things very complicated..

YayMathYay said:
Just gave it an attempt, and my maximization problem became:

Maximize [itex]x^{2} + y^{2} + z^{2}[/itex] subject to [itex]x + y - \sqrt{1 - x^{2}} - \sqrt{1 - y^{2}} = 0[/itex]

Is this correct? If so, do I need to substitute out z in terms of x and y? Because I have a feeling that would make things very complicated..

You wrote two equations, not one, so you need two Lagrange multipliers.

Related to Lagrange on an Ellipse to find Max/Min Distance

1. What is Lagrange on an Ellipse to find Max/Min Distance?

Lagrange on an Ellipse is a mathematical technique used to find the maximum or minimum distance between a point and an ellipse. This method was developed by the mathematician Joseph-Louis Lagrange.

2. How does Lagrange on an Ellipse work?

Lagrange on an Ellipse uses the properties of calculus to find the maximum or minimum distance between a point and an ellipse. It involves finding the critical points of the distance function and then using the Second Derivative Test to determine whether the point is a maximum or minimum.

3. What are the applications of Lagrange on an Ellipse?

Lagrange on an Ellipse has various applications, including finding the shortest distance between two objects moving in elliptical orbits, optimizing the placement of satellites in an elliptical orbit, and finding the maximum or minimum distance between a point and an elliptical boundary in optimization problems.

4. Are there any limitations to Lagrange on an Ellipse?

While Lagrange on an Ellipse is a powerful technique for finding the maximum or minimum distance between a point and an ellipse, it does have some limitations. It can only be used for ellipses with a non-zero eccentricity, and it may not be applicable in cases where the distance function is not continuous.

5. Can Lagrange on an Ellipse be extended to other shapes?

Yes, the principles of Lagrange on an Ellipse can be extended to other shapes, such as circles, hyperbolas, and parabolas. This technique is known as Lagrange Multipliers and is a fundamental tool in constrained optimization problems in higher dimensions.