Lagrange vs Hamilton: Clarifying the Distinction

In summary, the author discusses the two formulations of Lagrange's equation and argues that they are not to be taken as distinct. He also talks about the Hamiltonian and Hamilton's equations.
observer1
Hello,

When doing a little internet search today on generalized coordinates I stumbled on this document:

http://people.duke.edu/~hpgavin/cee541/LagrangesEqns.pdf

If you are willing, would you be so kind as to open it up and look at the top of (numbered) page 6?

OK, so the very existence of this table tells me that these men formulated different ways to structure classical mechanics

I can accept Newton and d'Alembert as two different approaches (and in this post, when I use the name of the person, I assume the equation itself)

But I have difficulty seeing why this author lists Lagrange and Hamilton SEPARATELY.

(forget Gauss as that is not really relevant to my question.)

It seems to me in order to progress in mechanics, one MUST use Lagrange and Euler TOGETHER.

In other words, Hamilton provided a, well, blanket or superset to cover Lagrange. It really was not different (setting aside the Hamiltonian here and just looking at the two formulations of Lagranges equation and Least Action). Are those two not really to be taken TOGETHER? Am I missing something? Are Lagrange and Hamilton as distinct from each other as Newton is from d'Alembert?

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't confuse Equivalence with Equality. The distinctness is in how one is expressing the dynamics of a system. I can give you the Lagrangian and Euler-Lagrange Equations follow, or I can give you the Hamiltonian and Hamilton's equations follow. Via the Legendre transformations the dynamical equations should be equivalent but the formulation is by no means identical.

Something wrong in attached above pdf, bottom of page 3.

Actually, the generalized forces ##Q_i## are obtained from the active forces, not from external ones as it has been written there.
Some of active forces may also be internal.

The Hamilton principle of least action is different for the Lagrangian and the Hamilton version. In the Lagrange formulation the action functional is a functional of trajectories in configuration space,
$$S[q]=\int_{t_1}^{t_2} \mathrm{d} t L(q,\dot{q},t).$$
The equations of motion are given by the stationary point of this functional for trajectories in configuration space with fixed boundaries, i.e., for ##\delta q(t_1)=\delta q(t_2)=0##, i.e., the Euler-Lagrange equations,
$$\frac{\delta S}{\delta q}=0 \; \Rightarrow \; \frac{\partial L}{\partial q}-\frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d} t} \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{q}}.$$
The formalism is form-invariant under arbitrary diffeomorphisms in configuration space, i.e., the EL equations are of the same form in any generalized configuration-space variables.

In the Hamiltonian formalism of the least-action principle, you consider trajectories in phase space and the variational principle is for variations of phase-space trajectories. The action functional reads
$$A[q,p]=\int_{t_1}^{t_2} \mathrm{d} t [\dot{q} \cdot p-H(q,p,t)].$$
The equations of motion are the stationary points of this functional under variations of the phase-space trajectories ##(q,p)##, with the ##\delta p## arbitrary and ##\delta q(t_1)=\delta q(t_2)=0##. The equations of motion are the Hamilton canonical equations,
$$\dot{q}=\frac{\partial H}{\partial p}, \quad \dot{p}=-\frac{\partial H}{\partial q}.$$
The transformations that leave these equations form-invariant are the much larger set of canonical transformations (symplectomorphisms on phase space), i.e., those transformations, which leave the canonical Poisson-bracket relations invariant,
$$\{q^j,q^k \}=\{p_j,p_k \}=0, \quad \{q^j,p_k\}={\delta^j}_k,$$
where the Poisson bracket of any pair of phase-space functions ##A,B## is defined as (Einstein summation convention implied)
$$\{A,B \}=\frac{\partial A}{\partial q^k} \frac{\partial B}{\partial p_k} - \frac{\partial B}{\partial q^k} \frac{\partial A}{\partial p_k}.$$
The great thing with the Hamilton formalism in phase space is that together with the Poisson brackets the function space of phase-space functions becomes a Lie algebra, and from the point of view of modern physics it's the most fundamental way to describe classical mechanics. With a little "deformation" (in the mathematical sense) you get quantum theory for (almost) free!

Likes wrobel
By the way, the change ##(p,q)\mapsto (P,2Q)## keeps the shape of Hamilton equations but this transformation is not a symplectomorphism

1. What is the difference between Lagrange and Hamilton?

Lagrange and Hamilton are two mathematical formalisms used to describe the motion of particles in a system. The main difference between them is that Lagrange's equations are based on the concept of virtual work, while Hamilton's equations are based on the concept of energy.

2. Which formalism is better to use, Lagrange or Hamilton?

Neither formalism is inherently better than the other. Both are useful for different types of problems and have their own advantages and disadvantages. It is important to understand both formalisms and choose the one that is most appropriate for the specific problem at hand.

3. Can Lagrange and Hamilton be used interchangeably?

No, Lagrange and Hamilton are two distinct formalisms and cannot be used interchangeably. Although they both describe the same physical system, they use different mathematical approaches and yield different equations of motion.

4. What kinds of problems can be solved using Lagrange and Hamilton?

Lagrange and Hamilton are both used to solve problems in classical mechanics, specifically in the study of the motion of particles and systems of particles. They can be used to analyze a wide range of systems, from simple pendulums to complex systems of interacting particles.

5. What are the advantages of using Lagrange over Hamilton, and vice versa?

The advantage of using Lagrange's formalism is that it is based on the concept of virtual work, which simplifies the equations of motion for complex systems. On the other hand, Hamilton's formalism is advantageous because it is based on the concept of energy, which makes it easier to incorporate energy conservation principles into the equations of motion.