Lagrangian of falling disk connected to another disk

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding the acceleration of a falling disk, which is unwinding a string wrapped around two identical disks. The solution involves using the Lagrangian and Lagrange's equation of motion, with the constraint equation chosen as a point of concern. The provided solution seems to be correct, although it would have been helpful to show more steps in arriving at the final formula.
Elvis 123456789

Homework Statement

String is wrapped around two identical disks of mass m and radius R. One disk is fixed to the ceiling but is free to rotate. The other is free to fall, unwinding the string as it falls. Find the acceleration of the falling disk by finding the lagrangian and lagrange's equation of motion.

Homework Equations

L = T - V

L = ∂L/∂x - d/dt(∂L/∂x-dot) = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

my attempt at the solution is in the attachment. I feel uneasy with my choice for the constraint equation. Can anybody take a look and tell me if it looks ok?

Attachments

• CM HW1.jpg
    CM HW1.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 461
Physics news on Phys.org
Your solution looks correct.

Posting a picture of a handwritten solution is inconvenient for the homework helper because it makes it difficult to "quote" a particular part of the solution. It would have been helpful to show more steps in arriving at the green formula for L, but it looks right. There is a glare spot on the picture that hides some of your work.

I point these things out because these are things that might make a homework helper less willing to wade through your work.

But, that aside, your solution looks good!

TSny said:
Your solution looks correct.

Posting a picture of a handwritten solution is inconvenient for the homework helper because it makes it difficult to "quote" a particular part of the solution. It would have been helpful to show more steps in arriving at the green formula for L, but it looks right. There is a glare spot on the picture that hides some of your work.

I point these things out because these are things that might make a homework helper less willing to wade through your work.

But, that aside, your solution looks good!
Thank you for taking the time to respond. I often take pictures of my work because typing it out often looks really messy and weird and so I figured it would actually help the homework helpers see my work better; but I see your point. Thanks for the feedback.

1. What is the Lagrangian of a falling disk connected to another disk?

The Lagrangian of a falling disk connected to another disk is a mathematical function that describes the dynamics of the system. It takes into account the kinetic and potential energies of both disks, as well as any external forces acting on the system.

2. How is the Lagrangian calculated for this system?

The Lagrangian for a falling disk connected to another disk can be calculated using the standard Lagrangian equation, which takes into account the positions, velocities, and masses of the two disks. It can also be derived using the principles of classical mechanics, such as conservation of energy and momentum.

3. What is the significance of the Lagrangian in this system?

The Lagrangian provides a complete and concise description of the dynamics of the falling disk system. It allows for the prediction of the motion of the disks and the forces acting on them, making it a valuable tool for understanding and analyzing the system.

4. How does the Lagrangian change if the disks have different masses?

If the two disks have different masses, the Lagrangian will include terms for the individual kinetic energies and moments of inertia of each disk, as well as the potential energy due to the difference in their heights. The overall form of the Lagrangian equation will remain the same, but the specific values will vary.

5. Can the Lagrangian of a falling disk system be used to derive the equations of motion?

Yes, the Lagrangian can be used to derive the equations of motion for the falling disk system. By taking the partial derivatives of the Lagrangian with respect to the positions and velocities of the disks, the equations of motion can be obtained, providing a complete description of the system's behavior.