Lame question on tank analysis

In summary, the conversation is about understanding the inputs for a water tank made of plastic filled with water. The question is whether atmospheric pressure needs to be applied, as it caused the tank to fail when added as a condition on the internal surface. It is confirmed that the tank is open to atmosphere and water is not under any other pressure, so the initial answer was correct that atmospheric pressure does not need to be applied.
jmex
Hello all,

I am trying to understand the inputs here. Let's suppose I have a water tank at home which is made of plastic. It is filled with water. So I am confused with the inputs.
At first when I gave only hydrostatic pressure, the tank was safe. But when I added atmospheric pressure by applying pressure condition on internal surface by 14.59 psi, it was failing. So do I have to apply atmospheric condition? Is it true?

Thanks,
Jmex

Engineering news on Phys.org
What do you have outside the tank? Air at atmospheric pressure? Water under pressure? Something else?

Tank is open to atmosphere. Water is not under any other pressure except open to atmosphere.

jmex said:
Tank is open to atmosphere. Water is not under any other pressure except open to atmosphere.
Then your first answer was correct.

that means i do not have to apply atmospheric pressure?

jmex said:
that means i do not have to apply atmospheric pressure?
Correct.

ok. thanks.

1. What is tank analysis?

Tank analysis is the process of evaluating the structural integrity and performance of a tank. This includes examining factors such as material strength, pressure levels, and potential vulnerabilities.

2. Why is tank analysis important?

Tank analysis is important because it helps ensure the safety and efficiency of tanks. By identifying potential issues and weaknesses, tank analysis can prevent failures and accidents, and also improve the overall performance and lifespan of the tank.

3. How is tank analysis conducted?

Tank analysis is typically conducted through a combination of physical inspections and mathematical calculations. Inspections involve visually examining the tank and its components, while calculations use formulas and data to determine factors such as stress and strain.

4. What are the common types of tanks that require analysis?

Tanks used for storing liquids, gases, or other substances may require analysis. This includes industrial tanks for chemicals, oil, or water, as well as storage tanks for residential or commercial use.

5. Who performs tank analysis?

Tank analysis is typically performed by engineers or scientists with expertise in structural analysis and fluid mechanics. These professionals may work for private companies, government agencies, or consulting firms.