Laminar and turbulent flow, the liquid or object?

In summary, the conversation discusses the role of Reynolds number and viscous forces in determining the laminar flow regime of an object in a fluid. The term laminar flow only applies to fluids, not objects. The object is subject to a laminar flow regime, and the flow around the object is laminar.
rwooduk
Please could someone verify this statement as I understand things:

If an object has a low reynolds number (or the fluid is very viscous) then it is dominated by viscous forces and inertia plays no role. The object is in a laminar flow regime.

That last part, is it correct? What I'm asking is, is it the object laminar flowing or is it the liquid that is laminar flowing?

Thanks for any help clearing this up.

Physics news on Phys.org
rwooduk said:
Please could someone verify this statement as I understand things:

If an object has a low reynolds number (or the fluid is very viscous) then it is dominated by viscous forces and inertia plays no role. The object is in a laminar flow regime.

That last part, is it correct? What I'm asking is, is it the object laminar flowing or is it the liquid that is laminar flowing?

Thanks for any help clearing this up.
The term laminar flow applies only to fluids, not objects.

Chet

Likes rwooduk
Chestermiller said:
The term laminar flow applies only to fluids, not objects.

Chet

Thanks for the reply.

So you would say, the object is subject to a laminar flow regime?

rwooduk said:
Thanks for the reply.

So you would say, the object is subject to a laminar flow regime?
No. If I understand you correctly, rigid objects to not exhibit laminar flow.

Chet

Likes rwooduk
You would say the flow around the object is laminar.

Likes rwooduk
That's great many thanks all.

1. What is laminar flow?

Laminar flow is a type of fluid flow in which the particles move in a smooth, orderly fashion, with little to no mixing between layers. This creates a predictable flow pattern and minimal turbulence.

2. What is turbulent flow?

Turbulent flow is a type of fluid flow in which the particles move in an irregular and chaotic manner, mixing and swirling together. This creates a less predictable flow pattern and increased turbulence.

3. How is the transition between laminar and turbulent flow determined?

The transition between laminar and turbulent flow is determined by the Reynolds number, which takes into account the fluid's density, viscosity, and velocity. When the Reynolds number exceeds a certain threshold, the flow will transition from laminar to turbulent.

4. How does viscosity affect laminar and turbulent flow?

Viscosity, or the resistance of a fluid to flow, has a significant impact on the type of flow. High viscosity fluids, such as honey, tend to have laminar flow, while low viscosity fluids, such as water, are more likely to have turbulent flow.

5. What factors can cause the transition from laminar to turbulent flow?

The transition from laminar to turbulent flow can be influenced by various factors, including the fluid velocity, viscosity, density, and roughness of the object or surface the fluid is flowing over. Other external factors, such as changes in temperature or pressure, can also impact the flow transition.