Lamp/Lampholder requirements for - US/Japan

• Thread starter danskimanuk
  • Start date
In summary, the person speaking is a designer with limited knowledge of physics and electronics, and is seeking advice on whether their lamp design, which uses a ceiling suspended lamp with a shade and off-the-shelf pendant lampholder, can be safely used in the UK, Europe, US, and Japan. They are unsure if they can wire the lampholder into a 100-120V mains and if a 120V bulb would work with their design. They have asked for help from others with more knowledge in this area.
danskimanuk
Firstly, my knowledge is basic as I have no grounding in physics or electronics , so please stick with me..

Secondly, as mentioned I am not a student of physics but am a designer, wanting to ensure that If I sell my product to the mentioned markets, that the product is safe to use and does not endanger anyone or their property...

OK..

I have a lamp design that I wish to sell online to the markets mentioned.

the lamp is a ceiling suspended lamp that has no metallic elements [and therefore needs no grounding, I think I am right in saying]. The design aspect is the shade and I want to utilise something of the shelf for a pendant lampholder.

Now, in the UK and Europe we use E27 bulbs, that draw on 240V mains. I want to be able to have my lamp used in the US and Japan also.

My question is, as I am not using a plug and fuse, can I just sell my lamp with a standard
UK Lampholder [E27] for use in the aforementioned countries?

I know america and Japan use E26, but have read that E26 bulbs can be used in E27 lampholders. If this is true, then all I need to know is if it is ok to wire my pendant lampholder into a 100-120V mains?

I know this is an electrical question [i have posted it in other forums!], but was hoping the underlying physics knowledge would inform me of whether this was feasible [using 220/240V equipment on 120V mains]. Even without any electrical/physics knowledge I can assume that the bulb if 240V would not illuminate sufficiently. Not sure what would happen if using a 120V bulb though...

any help on this matter would be much appreciated.

Dan

Engineering news on Phys.org
We can't answer that. It is not a question of the lamp holder. It is a question of your new type of lamp. Does your lamp work at both 120V and 240V? Only you can know.

Related to Lamp/Lampholder requirements for - US/Japan

1. What are the voltage requirements for lamps and lampholders in the US and Japan?

In the US, the standard voltage for lamps and lampholders is 120 volts. In Japan, the standard voltage is 100 volts.

2. Are there any differences in the plug types for lamps in the US and Japan?

Yes, the US uses Type A and B plugs, while Japan uses Type A and B plugs with the addition of a third prong for grounding.

3. Do lamps and lampholders need to be compatible with different wattage bulbs in the US and Japan?

Yes, it is important to check the wattage requirements for lamps and lampholders in both countries. In the US, the standard wattage range is 40-100 watts, while in Japan it is 25-75 watts.

4. Are there any safety regulations for lamps and lampholders in the US and Japan?

Yes, both countries have safety regulations for lamps and lampholders. In the US, the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) sets safety standards, while in Japan, the Electrical Appliance and Material Safety Law regulates safety standards.

5. Can lamps and lampholders from the US be used in Japan and vice versa?

In general, lamps and lampholders from the US can be used in Japan and vice versa, as long as they meet the voltage and plug requirements. However, it is always best to check the specific requirements for each country before using a lamp or lampholder.