Langevin equation to Fokker Planck

• Thread starter JVanUW
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Planck
In summary, the conversation discusses converting a langevin equation into a fokker-planck equation. The attempt at a solution includes using the standard form of the langevin equation and the corresponding Fokker-Planck equation for a generic SDE. The Fokker-Planck equation is then used to solve the problem in closed form. The conversation concludes with a request for suggestions or ideas.
JVanUW

Homework Statement

This isn't actually homework but I'm really interested in finding the solution.

So I have the langevin equation dy/dt = -dV/dy +η(t)

where V(y) = -by^3/3 + ζy

how can I turn this into a fokker-planck equation?

Homework Equations

x' = v(x) +η(t)

v(x)= -udV/dx

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the format of the langevin equation x' = v(x) +η(t), I get

x' = -u(bx^2+ζ) + η(t) (( v(x)= -udV/dx ))

Which I don't know how to solve in closed form.

Any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your differential equation is in the "standard form"
[tex] dy = -b y^2 dt + dB [/tex]

For a generic SDE, we have
[tex]dx = b(t,x) dt + a(t,x) dB[/tex]
and the corresponding Fokker-Planck equation is
[tex] \frac{\partial f(t,x)}{\partial t} = - \frac{\partial}{\partial x} (b(t,x) f(t,x)) + \frac{1}{2} \frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^2} (a^2(t,x) f(t,x)) [/tex]

1. What is the Langevin equation?

The Langevin equation is a stochastic differential equation that describes the time evolution of a particle in a medium subject to random forces. It was first proposed by French physicist Paul Langevin in 1908.

2. What is the Fokker Planck equation?

The Fokker Planck equation is a partial differential equation that describes the time evolution of a probability distribution for a stochastic process. It was first introduced by Dutch physicist Adriaan Fokker in 1914 and further developed by Austrian physicist Max Planck in 1917.

3. How are the Langevin and Fokker Planck equations related?

The Langevin equation can be derived from the Fokker Planck equation in the limit of small time steps. The Fokker Planck equation provides a more general description of the stochastic process, while the Langevin equation is a simpler, more intuitive representation.

4. What are the applications of the Langevin equation to Fokker Planck?

The Langevin equation to Fokker Planck is commonly used in statistical mechanics, fluid dynamics, and other fields to describe stochastic processes. It has also been applied in fields such as biophysics, finance, and neuroscience.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Langevin equation to Fokker Planck?

One limitation is that it assumes a Gaussian distribution of the random forces, which may not always be accurate. It also does not account for long-range correlations and can become computationally expensive for complex systems. Other variations of the equations have been developed to address these limitations.