Mean, variance and correlation function of Langevin equation

In summary, the problem asks for a solution to a certain Langevin equation with the initial condition ##X(0)=1##, and then to calculate ##<X(t)|x_0>, <X^2(t)|x_0>-(<X(t)|x_o>)^2, <X(t)X(0)>##.
PhoenixWright

Homework Statement

I have simulated Langevin equation (numerically in Matlab) for some specific conditions, so I have obtained the solution ##X(t)##.

But now, with the solution I have obtained, I have to calculate ## <X(t)|x_0>, <X^2(t)|x_0>-(<X(t)|x_o>)^2 ## and the conditional correlation function ##<X(t)X(0)>##.

##X(0)=1##

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to calculate the mean and variance, even for several variables. Nevertheless, I don't know how to calculate the mean and variance of ##X## conditioned to a single value ##x_0##, nor conditional correlation function...
I would appreciate if someone could help me.
Thank you so much.

Physics news on Phys.org
I assume that you have a certain volume filled with particles governed by the Langevin equation. The state of each particle is given by X(t). If you want to know the unconditional mean in the volume, you compute it using all particles in your volume. For a conditional mean you simply discard all particles that do not fulfill your condition. So if you want to know the mean velocity of all particles that have a mass of 1, your condition is ##< U | m = 1>##

I'm not sure if this is what you are doing, so please give more details if I'm not describing your problem correctly.

Also note that the error in computing the variance depends much on the numerical method used for the stochastic part of the Langevin equation, see e.g. the book of Kloeden and Platen.

Likes PhoenixWright
bigfooted said:
I assume that you have a certain volume filled with particles governed by the Langevin equation. The state of each particle is given by X(t). If you want to know the unconditional mean in the volume, you compute it using all particles in your volume. For a conditional mean you simply discard all particles that do not fulfill your condition. So if you want to know the mean velocity of all particles that have a mass of 1, your condition is ##< U | m = 1>##

I'm not sure if this is what you are doing, so please give more details if I'm not describing your problem correctly.

Also note that the error in computing the variance depends much on the numerical method used for the stochastic part of the Langevin equation, see e.g. the book of Kloeden and Platen.

Thank you for your answer.
Actually, the problem doesn't explain the physical situation we are solving. It only asks us to solve a certain Langevin equation with the initial condition ##X(0)=1##, and then to calculate ##
<X(t)|x_0>, <X^2(t)|x_0>-(<X(t)|x_o>)^2, <X(t)X(0)>##. So, I guess we can think a situation like the one you have explained. And that's more or less what I can't understand, as I have a very specific solution for ##X(t)## (I used Euler-Maruyama aproximation for solving it, by the way), but it's not specified what ##x_0## is, so I don't know which condition I should impose in order to calculate ##<X(t)|x_0>, <X^2(t)|x_0>-(<X(t)|x_o>)^2, <X(t)X(0)>##...

1. What is the meaning of "mean" in the Langevin equation?

The mean in the Langevin equation refers to the average value of a random variable, which represents the expected behavior of a system over time. In the context of the Langevin equation, the mean is used to describe the average position or velocity of a particle in a system.

2. How is variance calculated in the Langevin equation?

Variance in the Langevin equation is calculated as the average of the squared deviations from the mean. It represents the spread or dispersion of the random variable and is used to quantify the level of uncertainty in the system's behavior.

3. What is the role of the correlation function in the Langevin equation?

The correlation function in the Langevin equation is used to describe the relationship between the random forces acting on a particle in a system. It measures the degree to which these forces are related to each other and can provide insight into the underlying dynamics of the system.

4. How does the Langevin equation account for non-linear systems?

The Langevin equation can be extended to account for non-linear systems by incorporating additional terms that describe the non-linear behavior. These terms can be derived from the potential energy function of the system and allow for a more accurate representation of the system's dynamics.

5. Can the Langevin equation be used to model real-world systems?

Yes, the Langevin equation has been successfully used to model a wide range of physical, biological, and social systems. However, it is important to note that the accuracy of the model depends on the assumptions and simplifications made in the equation, and may not always accurately reflect the behavior of complex systems.