Langrange interpolation polynomial and Euclidian division

In summary, for a given set of distinct real numbers and a polynomial A, the rest of the euclidian division of A by the product of those numbers can be expressed as a sum of A evaluated at each number multiplied by a corresponding factor. This can be proven by showing that the difference between A and the quotient is zero at each number, implying that it divides the product, and since its degree is less than the degree of the product, it must equal zero.
geoffrey159

Homework Statement

Let ##x_1,...,x_n## be distinct real numbers, and ## P = \prod_{i=1}^n(X-x_i)##.
If for ##i=1...n ##, ##L_i = \frac{\prod_{j \neq i}^n(X-x_j)}{\prod_{j\neq i}(x_i-x_j)}##, show that for any polynomial A (single variable and real coefs), the rest of the euclidian division of A by P is ##\sum_{i=1}^n A(x_i)L_i ##

Homework Equations

## Q = \sum_{i=1}^n A(x_i)L_i ##

The Attempt at a Solution

Hello, could you tell me if my proof is correct please? It seems correct to me but I have a doubt.

Let ##(B,R)## the quotient and the rest of the euclidian division of A by P. We have that ##\text{deg}(R)<\text{deg}(P) = n ##, and ##A = BP+R##.

Since ## Q(x_i) = A(x_i) = R(x_i)##, then for all ##i = 1...n ##, ##(R-Q)(x_i) = 0 ##, so ##X-x_i## divides ##R-Q##
But for ##i\neq j##, ##X-x_i## and ##X-x_j ## are relatively prime and divide ##R-Q##, so ## P | R-Q##.
However, ##\text{deg}(R-Q) \le \max(\text{deg}(R),\text{deg(Q)}) \le n-1 < n =\text{deg}(P) ##, so ## R-Q = 0 ##

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Seems perfectly fine to me.
You could formulate it in a marginally more direct way perhaps, e.g. saying A-Q is zero at each x_i, hence it divides P, etc. - but this is equivalent to what you say.

Likes geoffrey159

1. What is the purpose of Langrange interpolation polynomial?

The purpose of Langrange interpolation polynomial is to approximate a function by finding a polynomial that passes through a set of given data points. This allows for the estimation of values between the given data points.

2. How is the Langrange interpolation polynomial calculated?

The Langrange interpolation polynomial is calculated using the Lagrange interpolation formula, which involves finding the coefficients of a polynomial that passes through the given data points. This involves solving a system of equations using the given data points and their corresponding values.

3. What is Euclidian division and how is it related to interpolation?

Euclidian division is a method used to divide two polynomials. It involves finding the quotient and remainder when dividing a polynomial by another polynomial. This method is used in the calculation of the Lagrange interpolation polynomial as it helps to determine the coefficients of the polynomial.

4. Can the Langrange interpolation polynomial be used for any type of function?

Yes, the Langrange interpolation polynomial can be used for any type of function as long as the function is continuous and differentiable within the given range of data points. However, it is important to note that the accuracy of the polynomial approximation may vary depending on the complexity of the function.

5. What are the limitations of using Langrange interpolation polynomial?

One limitation of Langrange interpolation polynomial is that it can only be used for a finite number of data points. Additionally, the accuracy of the polynomial approximation may decrease if the data points are not evenly spaced. Another limitation is that it may not accurately approximate functions with sharp turns or discontinuities within the given range of data points.