Laplace equation- variable domain

In summary, you can find the solution to the Laplace equation by taking the derivative and solving for ##L##.
chimay
Hi,
I need to solve Laplace equation ## \nabla ^2 \Phi(z,r)=0## in cylindrical coordinates in the domain ## r_1<r<r_2 ##, ## 0<z<L ##.
The boundary conditions are:
##
\left\{
\begin{aligned}
&\Phi(0,r)=V_B \\
&\Phi(L,r)=V_P \\
& -{C^{'}}_{ox} \Phi(x,r_2)=C_0 \frac{\partial \Phi(x,r)}{\partial r}\rvert_{r=r_2} \\
&\frac{\partial \Phi(x,r)}{\partial r}\rvert_{r=r_1}=0 \\
\end{aligned}
\right.
##
By separation of variables I obtain:
##\Phi_(z,r)=(A e^{-\lambda z} + B e^{+\lambda z})(C J_0(\lambda r) + D Y_0(\lambda r))
##
##J_0## and ##Y_0## being zero order first type and second type Bessel functions.
The general solution is:
##\Phi_{tot}= \sum_m (A_m e^{-\lambda_m z} + B_m e^{+\lambda_m z})(C_m J_0(\lambda_m r) + D_m Y_0(\lambda_m r)) ##
and all the constants che can be calculated exploiting the boundary conditions.

Now assume ##L## is not fixed, but it can vary in a certain range ##0<L_1<L<L_2##. What I am thinking about is: is it possible to compute ##L## such that [tex] \frac{\partial \Phi_{tot}}{\partial z} \rvert_{z=L} =0[/tex]?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
yes, you have the solution written, just take the derivative and find the solution

Form the boundary conditions I can write
[tex]
\Phi_m=(\exp(\lambda_m z)+B_m \exp(-\lambda_m z) )C_m F_m(r)
[/tex]
where ##F_m## is a function independent from ##L## and
[tex]
\begin{cases}
B_m=\frac{(K_{Bm}/K_{Pm}) \exp(\lambda_m L)-1}{1- (K_{Bm}/K_{Pm}) \exp(-\lambda_m L)} \\
C_m=\frac{K_{Pm}-K_{Bm} \exp(-\lambda_m L)}{2 K_{1m} \sinh{\lambda_m L}}
\end{cases}
[/tex]
##K_{Pm}, K_{Bm}## and ##K_{1m}## being constants.
By computing ## \frac{\partial \Phi_{tot}}{\partial z} \rvert_{z=L} =0 ## I get
[tex]
\sum_m \lambda_m (\exp{\lambda_m L} - B_m \exp{-\lambda_m L}) C_m F_m(r) = 0
[/tex]
How can I solve this equation? Note that ##L## must not be ##m-##dependent.

Thank you for your interest.

What is the Laplace equation?

The Laplace equation is a partial differential equation that describes the relationship between the distribution of a scalar field and its sources in a given domain. It is used to model various physical phenomena, such as heat flow and electrostatics.

What is a variable domain in the context of the Laplace equation?

A variable domain refers to a domain in which the Laplace equation is solved for varying boundary conditions or parameters. This allows for a more general solution that can be applied to a wider range of scenarios.

How is the Laplace equation solved in a variable domain?

The Laplace equation can be solved using various analytical or numerical methods, depending on the complexity of the problem. Some common approaches include separation of variables, Green's function method, and finite element method.

What are the applications of the Laplace equation in a variable domain?

The Laplace equation in a variable domain has many applications in different fields, such as fluid mechanics, electromagnetism, and structural analysis. It is used to model and predict the behavior of various physical systems and can provide insights into their behavior.

What are the limitations of the Laplace equation in a variable domain?

The Laplace equation can only be applied to linear systems, where the relationship between the scalar field and its sources is linear. It also assumes a steady-state condition, meaning that the system is not changing with time. Additionally, it may not be applicable to highly complex or nonlinear systems.