Laplace Transform with Imaginary Roots

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of transforming a function from the time domain to the Laplace domain and then back to the time domain. The main difficulty lies in dealing with imaginary roots, but it is suggested to use conjugate poles or a partial fractions expansion to solve this problem. The use of complex numbers in the inverse transformation is not a hindrance and can be easily incorporated. However, it is important to provide the initial conditions of the function in order to accurately check the work.
jdawg

Homework Statement

4(d2x/dt2) +3x = t*e-3tsin(5t)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I know how to take the Laplace transform and find the function for the Laplace domain:

X(s) = 10(s+3)/(((s+3)2+25)2)(4s2+3) + (10s/(4s2+3)) + (2/(4s2+3))

But trying to convert 10(s+3)/(((s+3)2+25)2)(4s2+3) back into the time domain is giving me a lot of trouble!
Those imaginary roots are really throwing me off. It was suggested to me to use conjugate poles to solve for this part, but I've never learned this method.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Also not related to the homework question but, is there a fraction button somewhere?? I realize the question is hard to look at when there are so many parenthesis and slashes.

Physics news on Phys.org
jdawg said:
Also not related to the homework question but, is there a fraction button somewhere?? I realize the question is hard to look at when there are so many parenthesis and slashes.
Over 300 posts and you haven't looked at the latex primer yet?
https://www.physicsforums.com/help/latexhelp/

No. I pretty much just post homework questions, I never really look at anything else on this site. There used to be a really convenient fraction button that you could just click, I was kind of hoping for something like that.

How hard is it to type ##\frac{numerator here}{denominator here}##?

Pretty hard.

jdawg said:

Homework Statement

4(d2x/dt2) +3x = t*e-3tsin(5t)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I know how to take the Laplace transform and find the function for the Laplace domain:

X(s) = 10(s+3)/(((s+3)2+25)2)(4s2+3) + (10s/(4s2+3)) + (2/(4s2+3))

But trying to convert 10(s+3)/(((s+3)2+25)2)(4s2+3) back into the time domain is giving me a lot of trouble!
Those imaginary roots are really throwing me off. It was suggested to me to use conjugate poles to solve for this part, but I've never learned this method.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

You cannot possibly obtain ##X(s)## unless you are told the values of ##x(0)## and ##x'(0)##. You could obtain a formula for ##X(s)## that involves two (symbolic) parameters such as ##a = x(0)## and ##b = x'(0)##. Of course we cannot check your work if you don't tell us what these are.

Anyway, there are no tricks involved; just use
$${\cal L}^{-1} \frac{1}{s+c} = e^{-ct}.$$ It does not matter whether ##c## is real, imaginary or a general complex number.

Last edited:
Indeed, as Ray says, there is nothing particular with using complex numbers in the inverse transformation. Note that your denominator having only real coefficients will lead to its poles being either real or conjugate to each other. Although ##e^{ct}## is generally complex if ##c## is not real, the appearance of the conjugate pole will ensure that your final result is real with the imaginary parts of the poles resulting in trigonometric functions when their contributions are summed.

LCKurtz said:
How hard is it to type ##\frac{numerator here}{denominator here}##?
jdawg said:
Pretty hard.
To be honest, I find it much faster than using a button as you can type it without moving your hands from the keyboard. Also, incorporating LaTeX into your posts will make them more readable and thereby increase your chances of getting help faster. The threshold to learning rudimentaty LaTeX is really not that high.

Ray Vickson said:
You cannot possibly obtain ##X(s)## unless you are told the values of ##x(0)## and ##x'(0)##. You could obtain a formula for ##X(s)## that involves two (symbolic) parameters such as ##a = x(0)## and ##b = x'(0)##. Of course we cannot check your work if you don't tell us what these are.
I assume that's where the last two terms of jdawg's expression for X(s) came from.

jdawg said:
But trying to convert 10(s+3)/(((s+3)2+25)2)(4s2+3) back into the time domain is giving me a lot of trouble! Those imaginary roots are really throwing me off. It was suggested to me to use conjugate poles to solve for this part, but I've never learned this method.
You don't need to deal with the complex roots, but you will have to do a lot of algebra. Use a partial fractions expansion.

If you're familiar with evaluating the Bromwich integral using residues, that's probably the fastest way to invert the transform.

vela said:
I assume that's where the last two terms of jdawg's expression for X(s) came from.

Of course, but how can we tell if he made an error? His problem statement should tell us what are ##x(0), x'(0)##.

What is a Laplace Transform with Imaginary Roots?

A Laplace Transform with Imaginary Roots is a mathematical tool used in solving differential equations. It transforms a function of time into a function of complex frequency, allowing for easier analysis and solution of the differential equation.

How do I know if a Laplace Transform has Imaginary Roots?

A Laplace Transform has imaginary roots if the function being transformed contains complex numbers in its solution. These roots can be identified by the presence of the imaginary unit, i, in the equations.

What is the significance of having Imaginary Roots in a Laplace Transform?

Having imaginary roots in a Laplace Transform can provide valuable insights into the behavior of the system being modeled. It can reveal the presence of oscillations or resonance, and can help in predicting the response of the system to different inputs.

Can a Laplace Transform with Imaginary Roots be inverted?

Yes, a Laplace Transform with Imaginary Roots can be inverted using inverse Laplace Transform techniques. However, the resulting function may contain complex numbers and may need to be simplified further.

What are some real-world applications of Laplace Transform with Imaginary Roots?

Laplace Transform with Imaginary Roots has many applications in engineering and physics, such as in the analysis of electrical circuits, mechanical systems, and control systems. It is also used in signal processing and image analysis, among others.