Laplacian of a vector function

In summary, the vector function A(r) is defined in spherical polar coordinates and can be expressed as A = (1/r)er. To evaluate ∇2A in these coordinates, we can use the equation 1671 and find that the Laplacian of A is (-2/r3)er. This is because A only has a r component and the other components are zero.
subzero0137
Problem: The vector function A(r) is defined in spherical polar coordinates by A = (1/r) er

Evaluate ∇2A in spherical polar coordinates

Relevant equation: I'm assuming I have to use the equation 1671 on this website

But I haven't got a clue as to how I would apply it since, for example, I don't know what Aθ is. Any hint on how to get started would help.

Physics news on Phys.org
You're vector field has only a r component, other components are zero!
[itex]
\vec A=A_r \hat e_r +A_\theta \hat e_\theta+A_\varphi \hat e_\varphi
[/itex]

Shyan said:
You're vector field has only a r component, other components are zero!
[itex]
\vec A=A_r \hat e_r +A_\theta \hat e_\theta+A_\varphi \hat e_\varphi
[/itex]

So it would just be ∇2A = ∇2Ar - 2(Ar/r2)?

No. The Laplacian of a vector field, is a vector field. What you wrote, is only the r component of that vector field.

Shyan said:
No. The Laplacian of a vector field, is a vector field. What you wrote, is only the r component of that vector field.

Right, so will it be ∇2 A = (∇2Ar - 2(A2/r2))er? Or am I missing the other components?

That's correct.

Shyan said:
That's correct.

EDIT: Oops, I meant the answer I got is (-2/r3)er

Last edited:

Related to Laplacian of a vector function

1. What is the Laplacian of a vector function?

The Laplacian of a vector function is a mathematical operator that measures the rate of change of a vector field at a given point. It is a scalar quantity that represents the divergence of the gradient of the vector function.

2. How is the Laplacian of a vector function calculated?

The Laplacian of a vector function can be calculated by taking the dot product of the gradient of the vector function with itself, or by taking the sum of the second partial derivatives of each component of the vector function.

3. What is the significance of the Laplacian of a vector function?

The Laplacian of a vector function is used to describe the behavior and properties of vector fields, such as the flow of fluids or the distribution of electric or magnetic fields. It also plays a role in various mathematical and physical theories, including electromagnetism, fluid dynamics, and quantum mechanics.

4. Can the Laplacian of a vector function be negative?

Yes, the Laplacian of a vector function can be negative, positive, or zero, depending on the behavior of the vector field at a given point. A negative Laplacian indicates that the vector field is diverging, while a positive Laplacian indicates that the vector field is converging.

5. How is the Laplacian of a vector function used in practical applications?

The Laplacian of a vector function is used in various practical applications, including image and signal processing, computer graphics, and engineering. It can help with tasks such as edge detection, noise reduction, and feature extraction, and can also be used to solve differential equations and optimize systems.