Laptop for Mobile Internet: Recommendations & Pros/Cons

In summary, the expert recommends using a laptop with mobile internet, but warns about streaming music and video content that can use up monthly bandwidth. They also recommend using private wifi instead of public wifi.
kyphysics
I currently use my phone's data plan (T-Mobile) for doing some work on the road, but I have some larger projects coming up that could really benefit from being able to use a laptop. I still can't get used to texting/typing on the ultra small keyboard of a tiny cell phone and hate doing it (plus, the small screen sucks for viewing things anyways). As an aside, has anyone ever hooked up a traditional sized computer keyboard to their cell phone to use?

But, the main question is simply what options I have for a laptop with mobile internet? Any recommendations? Don't know what's out there and any pros/cons, comparisons, etc. My apartment internet (and my parent's home) is Verizon Fios.

I'll be researching this over the weekend, but thought I throw a question out to see if any experienced folks have some recommendations/insights. TIA everyone!

Computer science news on Phys.org
On occasion, I would turn my phone into a hotspot, then just turn on Wifi on the laptop. With my previous phone, that feature was not an option, but I could tether my phone to the laptop, via USB cable and share the mobile internet.

Yes, I do this too as my ipad has wifi only so I tether it to my iphone and wah lah I have internet over cellular. One caveat though is that you should be careful not to use up your monthly band limits if you have them by streaming music or video content.

Doing work though like emails, social media posts... should be okay. However, some apps may stream in the background (music apps) and then your monthly bandwidth will disappear and could cost you some real money as some folks found out when they let their kid stream a movie while the phone was roaming...

In one case, a friend got caught in bandwidth dilemma because of an email that kept failing each time his phone tried to send the picture laden email because he was traveling through areas of spotty cellular coverage while on a Natl Parks tour.

Likes kyphysics and scottdave
Some of the phone companies offer devices which will plug into a laptop, to allow it to directly access the carrier's mobile internet. Care should be taken, as @jedishrfu pointed out, that there are not some background applications "eating up" your data.
Also, I have heard of Bluetooth keyboards, but have not seen one in use.

Likes jedishrfu
The things above work, but the easiest solution, unless you are traveling away from civilization, is to go into a restaurant/coffee shop/etc that has WiFi and use this. It is usually faster and cheaper.

Nooo! Don't use public wifi. It can be spoofed too easily by someone sitting nearby with a hotspot matching the public one and your session will be compromised.

Likes kyphysics
jedishrfu said:
Nooo! Don't use public wifi. It can be spoofed too easily by someone sitting nearby with a hotspot matching the public one and your session will be compromised.
Agreed. I don't use public Wifi - much less for work that involved auditing a top pharmaceutical company! :wideeyed: One compromise of private info. and I'd be toast!

Does tethering a cell phone's mobile plan to your laptop decrease the speed of it by chance?

I don't need to access videos too often (maybe occasionally) for my work, but do need to get online to company webpages to into data. A stalled connection would suck if there's any speed decreases.

jedishrfu said:
Yes, I do this too as my ipad has wifi only so I tether it to my iphone and wah lah I have internet over cellular. One caveat though is that you should be careful not to use up your monthly band limits if you have them by streaming music or video content.

Doing work though like emails, social media posts... should be okay. However, some apps may stream in the background (music apps) and then your monthly bandwidth will disappear and could cost you some real money as some folks found out when they let their kid stream a movie while the phone was roaming...

In one case, a friend got caught in bandwidth dilemma because of an email that kept failing each time his phone tried to send the picture laden email because he was traveling through areas of spotty cellular coverage while on a Natl Parks tour.

Very useful, jedishrfu.

I did some light searching last night (more this weekend) and saw that was an option. Good warning about background apps too.

But, is there any way to know what apps I have that may be running and eating up my data? I really don't have anything other than factory installed stuff and two apps for work.

Finally, does anyone know how much 4GB vs. 6GB, vs. 8GB of mobile cell phone data translates into in terms of web surfing hours? I won't be using my data plan much to do videos (only on rare occasion), but will be filling out spreadsheets and doing data entry for my company audits that require several hours per day or inputting info. on various websites.

I'm debating a new plan (I only have a pre-paid month-to-month right now) and they offer 4, 6, 8, ...unlimited mobile data at increasing fees. Just seeing what would fit my needs best.

1. What features should I look for in a laptop for mobile internet?

When choosing a laptop for mobile internet, it is important to consider the following features: portability, battery life, connectivity options (such as 4G/LTE), and processing power. You may also want to consider the size and weight of the laptop, as well as the availability of a touchscreen or 2-in-1 functionality.

2. Is it better to get a laptop with built-in mobile internet or use a separate hotspot device?

It ultimately depends on your specific needs and preferences. A laptop with built-in mobile internet may be more convenient since you won't need to carry an additional device, but it may also limit your carrier options and could be more expensive. A separate hotspot device may provide more flexibility and potentially save you money, but you will need to carry an extra device and it may not be as seamlessly integrated with your laptop.

3. What are the benefits of using a laptop for mobile internet?

Using a laptop for mobile internet allows you to have internet access on-the-go, without the need for a stable WiFi connection. This can be especially useful for travelers, remote workers, or individuals who need to stay connected while away from home or the office. It also allows for more flexibility and productivity compared to using a smartphone for internet access.

4. Are there any potential drawbacks to using a laptop for mobile internet?

Some potential drawbacks of using a laptop for mobile internet include limited battery life, potential data overage charges, and the need for a strong and reliable cellular signal. Additionally, laptops with built-in mobile internet may be more expensive than those without, and using a separate hotspot device may add an extra cost to your mobile plan.

5. How can I ensure the security of my laptop when using mobile internet?

To ensure the security of your laptop while using mobile internet, it is important to use a strong and unique password for your device, as well as for any networks or hotspots you connect to. You should also consider using a virtual private network (VPN) to encrypt your data and protect your online activity. It is also important to be cautious when connecting to public or unsecured networks, and to keep your laptop's software and antivirus programs up to date.