Latent Heat and Clapeyron Equation Manipulation

In summary, the conversation is about using equations to determine the effect of an increase in mass on the velocity of a wire passing through ice, with the formula Q = mL and the Clausius-Clapeyron relation being used together to find the final equation. It is confirmed that the approach is correct and the next step is to rearrange the equations to get an equation that relates the wire's velocity with mass and temperature.
Pawnag3
Hi,
I just want to double check if the following is valid. However, I would just like to give you the context of my questions. Basically, I am passing a wire through ice, then I'm trying to figure out how an increase in mass (therefore force) affects the velocity at which the wire goes through.
First, here are the two formulas that I'm using:
1) Q = mL, where L is the latent heat of fusion of water.
2) Part of the Clausius-Clapeyron relation where:
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=28794&stc=1&d=1286245341

Then, I combined the two together by subbing in for L, so that:
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=28797&stc=1&d=1286245421

Then, energy = 1/2 mv^2, therefore, we get:
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=28798&stc=1&d=1286245490

Is the above remotely correct? Does anyone have any ideas on how I can combine the equations?

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• Physics 1.jpg
    Physics 1.jpg
    1.1 KB · Views: 732
  • physics 2.jpg
    physics 2.jpg
    1.3 KB · Views: 662
  • Physics 3.jpg
    Physics 3.jpg
    1.2 KB · Views: 609
Physics news on Phys.org
!Yes, the above is correct. To combine the equations, you need to rearrange the first equation to solve for m, and then substitute it into the second equation. Doing so, you will get an equation that relates the velocity of the wire with the mass and the temperature of the ice.

Related to Latent Heat and Clapeyron Equation Manipulation

1. What is latent heat?

Latent heat is the amount of energy required to change the state of a substance from solid to liquid or from liquid to gas, without changing its temperature.

2. How is latent heat related to the Clapeyron equation?

The Clapeyron equation is used to calculate the change in vapor pressure of a substance with temperature. Latent heat is one of the variables in the equation, as it affects the energy required for a phase change.

3. Can the Clapeyron equation be manipulated to solve for other variables?

Yes, the Clapeyron equation can be manipulated to solve for other variables, such as temperature or vapor pressure, as long as at least two of the variables are known.

4. What is the significance of the Clapeyron equation in thermodynamics?

The Clapeyron equation is significant in thermodynamics as it provides a relationship between temperature, pressure, and energy for phase changes. It is also used to determine the conditions at which a substance will undergo a phase change.

5. How is the Clapeyron equation used in real-world applications?

The Clapeyron equation is used in many real-world applications, such as in the design of refrigeration systems, the production of pharmaceuticals, and the understanding of weather phenomena like clouds and precipitation.