LaTeX alignment and orientation

In summary: LaTeX is very ... sure ... about where figures should be.If \begin{figure}[h] does not help, then it will be very difficult. Shifting paragraphs before or after the figure has some effect, but control is imprecise at best.Better said, the developers of TeX and LaTeX were very sure that most authors are clueless regarding where figures should be. The algorithms were carefully constructed based on feedback from publishers and readability experts.
bhaazee
LaTeX Help!

Currently I writing my Thesis report using LaTeX. I have been noticing the following problem.

I need the figures and text to be aligned in a page in the following orientation

text
figure
text
figure

However, what I obtain is

figure
text
text
figure

At times, this gets frustrating. Sometimes the figure jumps to the end of the next page. Tried out googling. Yet to find a proper solution. Would be helpful, if someone could suggest me a proper solution

Regards

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

LaTeX is very ... sure ... about where figures should be.

If \begin{figure}[h] does not help, then it will be very difficult. Shifting paragraphs before or after the figure has some effect, but control is imprecise at best.

Why do you want the figures to be arranged exactly like this? You might have more luck with the two figures on a page of their own, opposite of the corresponding text.

well, as mentioned sometimes the figure moves completely away from the describing text. Have to drift over a couple of pages to co-relate the image with the text. Of course, images or text getting drifting by half a page is acceptable.

M Quack said:
LaTeX is very ... sure ... about where figures should be.
Better said, the developers of TeX and LaTeX were very sure that most authors are clueless regarding where figures should be. The algorithms were carefully constructed based on feedback from publishers and readability experts. It's a human factors thing. Most authors are clueless about human factors such as readability. Publishers are highly attuned to readability. An unreadable journal is unreadable. It won't last long.
bhaazee said:
At times, this gets frustrating.
LaTeX frees you from worrying about layout. You are fighting the very mechanisms that let you not have to worry about layout. Don't fight it. Look at it is liberating instead. If you don't have to worry about layout you will be able to focus on content. It's the content that's important.

Look at it this way: Suppose you publish a journal paper based on your thesis. Your submission must have the figures and tables completely separated from the paper proper in many journals. The publishers give the authors no say whatsoever regarding placement.

What D.H. said.

You can try the "nuclear option"
Code:
\usepackage{float}
\begin{document}
\begin{figure}[H]

But your next post might be a complaint that LaTeX did exactly what you told it to, and half your figure disappeared off the bottom of the page :smile:

well. I do agree with you guys. I tried some options. But unfortunately the document is getting messy. Better to take in few bad pages rather than losing many better pages.

Thanks both of you for your comments.

1. What is the purpose of alignment and orientation in LaTeX?

In LaTeX, alignment and orientation refer to the way text and other elements are positioned on a page. This includes the horizontal alignment (left, right, center) and vertical alignment (top, middle, bottom) of text, as well as the orientation of elements such as images and tables.

2. How do I change the alignment of text in LaTeX?

To change the alignment of text in LaTeX, you can use the commands \centering, \raggedright, and \raggedleft. These commands will center, align to the left, and align to the right, respectively. You can also use the environment \begin{center} ... \end{center} to center a block of text.

3. Can I adjust the spacing between aligned elements in LaTeX?

Yes, you can adjust the spacing between aligned elements in LaTeX using the \hspace and \vspace commands. These commands allow you to add horizontal and vertical space, respectively, between elements.

4. How do I rotate an element in LaTeX?

To rotate an element, such as an image or a table, in LaTeX, you can use the \rotatebox command. This command takes two arguments: the angle of rotation and the element to be rotated. For example, \rotatebox{90}{\includegraphics{image.jpg}} will rotate the image 90 degrees clockwise.

5. Is it possible to align elements to a specific point on the page in LaTeX?

Yes, you can align elements to a specific point on the page in LaTeX using the \vspace*{\fill} command. This command will insert vertical space that stretches to fill the remaining space on the page, effectively aligning the element to the bottom of the page. You can also use the \hfill command to align elements horizontally.