Vertical space and left alignment in Latex

In summary, the individual is seeking help with left aligning text and creating vertical spaces in a mathematical expression. They are also inquiring about the proper method for deriving an equation. The expert suggests using two displayed equations with the "Subbing..." line in between, and mentions the option of using sub-numbered equations with the ams-math package.
PainterGuy
Hi,

How do I left align the text below? Also, how do I create vertical spaces above and below the line stating "Subbing the following expressions..."? Could you please help me with it?To derive 14(ii) [itex]m_{0} \gamma^{2} \frac{d^{2} y}{d t^{2}}=e E_{y}^{\prime}[/itex] from 13(ii) [itex]m_{0} \frac{d^{2} y^{\prime}}{d t^{\prime 2}}=e E_{y}^{\prime}[/itex], should I proceed as follows.

[tex]
\begin{aligned}
&\frac{d^{2} y^{\prime}}{d\left(t^{\prime}\right)^{2}}=\frac{d t}{d t^{\prime}} \frac{d}{d t}\left[\frac{d t}{d t^{\prime}} \frac{d y^{\prime}}{d t}\right]\\
&\text { Subbing the following expressions in the expression above. }\\
&y^{\prime}=y \text { and } \frac{d t}{d t^{\prime}}=\frac{1}{\gamma\left(1-\frac{v}{c^{2}} \frac{d y}{d t}\right)}
\end{aligned}
[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
It is not fully clear to me what you want. I would probably use two displayed equations, with the "Subbing..." line in between, like so:
---
$$
\frac{d^{2} y^{\prime}}{d\left(t^{\prime}\right)^{2}}=\frac{d t}{d t^{\prime}} \frac{d}{d t}\left[\frac{d t}{d t^{\prime}} \frac{d y^{\prime}}{d t}\right]
$$
Substituting the following expressions
$$
y^{\prime}=y \quad \text{and} \quad \frac{d t}{d t^{\prime}}=\frac{1}{\gamma\left(1-\frac{v}{c^{2}} \frac{d y}{d t}\right)}
$$
in the expression above...
---
I think this is the more standard way to format it. Incidentally, if you want to use sub-numbered equations (e.g. 1a, 1b, etc.) with text in between, look at the "subequations" environment of the ams-math package.

Likes PainterGuy

1. What is vertical space in Latex?

Vertical space refers to the amount of space between lines of text or between different elements in a Latex document. It can be adjusted using commands such as \vspace{} or \setlength{}.

2. How can I increase or decrease the vertical space between lines of text in Latex?

To increase or decrease the vertical space between lines of text in Latex, you can use the command \setlength{\baselineskip}{value}, where "value" is the desired spacing. Alternatively, you can use the \vspace{} command to add a specific amount of space between lines.

3. What is left alignment in Latex?

Left alignment in Latex refers to the horizontal positioning of text or elements within a document. It means that the text or element is aligned to the left margin of the page.

4. How do I left align text in Latex?

To left align text in Latex, you can use the \raggedright command at the beginning of the text or use the \begin{flushleft} and \end{flushleft} commands to enclose the text. Alternatively, you can use the \flushleft command to left align a particular paragraph.

5. Can I adjust the vertical space and left alignment in Latex for specific elements within a document?

Yes, you can adjust the vertical space and left alignment for specific elements in a Latex document by using the appropriate commands within the scope of the element. For example, you can use \vspace{} to add space between two paragraphs, and then use \raggedright to left align the second paragraph.