LaTeX and Mac OS X's Grapher (advice)

In summary, using Grapher to create LaTeX expressions for PF can be very helpful. The keyboard shortcuts are useful, but there are some symbols that don't have a LaTeX expression.
daytripper
LaTeX and Mac OS X's "Grapher" (advice)

Hello everyone.
I recently stumbled upon something that I consider incredibly useful (and poor practice, I realize). I figured I'd post it here in the hopes of helping someone to discover this themselves.

Using Grapher to create LaTeX expressions for PF:
Go into Mac's Grapher and type up an equation. Grapher has a fairly intuitive expression editor in it. After you've created your equation right-click on the equation. An option should pop up saying "copy LaTeX expression". After that, when posting it to the forums, simply surround what's on your clipboard with [ tex] [ /tex] (minus the extra spaces) and you're done.

Here's some useful keyboard shortcuts for things such as sqrt, sigma, and the integral thingy.
To type these symbols in grapher, hold down "alt" then press the corresponding key
= - [tex]\neq [/tex]

p - [tex]\pi[/tex]

w - [tex]\sum_{a}^{b}{f\left( x \right)}[/tex] (notated for ease of reading)

d - [tex]\partial [/tex]

/ - [tex]\div [/tex]

b - [tex]\int_{a}^{b}{f\left( x \right)}[/tex]

v - [tex]\sqrt{a}[/tex]

V (capitol V) - [tex]\sqrt[a]{b}[/tex]

alt + capitol P makes a symbol which looks familiar and apparently can be used by Grapher but there seems to be some sort of issue with the LaTeX.

You can make ∆ via alt+j but there's no latex expression for it. Same goes for ≈ with alt+x.
î can be produce via alt+i then i again, but this seems pointless as it seems you can't make j-hat or k-hat.

Anyway, I hope I've been of help.
-Tim

edit: mutton pointed out that there is a way to write delta and approximation via LaTeX (see below). Mac just doesn't do this for you. Sorry if the above comment was misleading. Thanks mutton.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

For manual conversion:

\Delta - [tex]\Delta[/tex]
\approx - [tex]\approx[/tex]

\hat i - [tex]\hat i[/tex]

\hat j - [tex]\hat j[/tex]

\hat k - [tex]\hat k[/tex]

The dots on the i and j don't look nice with the hat, so:

\hat \imath - [tex]\hat \imath[/itex]

\hat \jmath - [tex]\hat \jmath[/itex]

I find that it really is fastest to just type the LaTeX directly when posting. (Then again, I've never made LaTeX code any other way.)

yea, but I've got an easy way out so I guess I'll never learn. haha. thanks for the tips on [tex]\hat \imath [/tex] and such, though.
edit: \imath isn't working for me... my latex for that symbol is \hat \imath... not sure why

1. What is LaTeX and how does it work with Mac OS X's Grapher?

LaTeX is a typesetting language used for creating high-quality scientific and technical documents. Mac OS X's Grapher is a graphing tool that allows users to create 2D and 3D graphs. LaTeX can be integrated with Grapher to create visually appealing graphs with mathematical equations and symbols.

2. Can I use LaTeX in Mac OS X's Grapher to label my axes and data points?

Yes, LaTeX can be used in Grapher to label axes and data points. This allows for more precise and customizable labeling options, such as using mathematical symbols and equations.

3. Is it possible to save my Grapher graphs as LaTeX files?

Yes, you can save your Grapher graphs as LaTeX files by selecting "Save As" and choosing the LaTeX format. This will create a .tex file that can be opened and edited in a LaTeX editor.

4. Are there any tips for using LaTeX in Mac OS X's Grapher?

One tip is to use the "Edit" menu in Grapher to access the LaTeX panel, where you can enter your desired equations and symbols. It is also helpful to have a basic understanding of LaTeX syntax to effectively use it in Grapher.

5. Can I use custom LaTeX packages in Mac OS X's Grapher?

Yes, you can use custom LaTeX packages in Grapher by placing them in the "texmf" folder located in your user's Library folder. Once the package is installed, it can be accessed through the LaTeX panel in Grapher.